Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battery shelf life (short) - 18500

Default Battery shelf life (short) - 18500

I put an 18500 on a NB V3 and it runs great. However, I've noticed it has a short shelf life and is discharged within 4 or 5 days without much use. Is this common or could there be a cause (i.e. my wiring is off).

Thanks!

How much use are you talking about? If it's going from full charge to zero in less than a week and you're not using it at all, then there may be an issue with wiring. If you're playing with it for 15-30 minutes a day and the charge lasts a week, I'd say that's normal.

Side note: Do you have anyone else in the house that might be playing with the saber when you're not around? Kids, parents, roommates? Even people who say they don't like Star Wars are prone to play with lightsabers when no one is watching.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by DoodaMaffs View Post
    I put an 18500 on a NB V3 and it runs great. However, I've noticed it has a short shelf life and is discharged within 4 or 5 days without much use. Is this common or could there be a cause (i.e. my wiring is off).

Thanks!
    Our NBv3 build is still on the original charge, and just went and hit the button it fired right up. It's been sitting untouched for about 1 1/2 months with roughly 40 minutes of use on it. (sons science fair presentation and open house)
    Set up is tri-rebel
    main blade (white 1000mA+Blue @500 mA)
    2 White Accent LEDs for the chamber wired to the blade @ 20mA each
    FoC Blue 1000mA
    Last edited by FenixFire; 06-20-2016 at 06:54 AM.

The 18500 pack in the store has 1400 mAh. The NBv3 has a deep sleep power usage of <0.1 mA. Theoretically, there should be 14,000 hours, or 583 days, of deep sleep. I'd say you have bad wiring, a bad cell, or someone playing with it when you're not watching.

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    The 18500 pack in the store has 1400 mAh. The NBv3 has a deep sleep power usage of <0.1 mA. Theoretically, there should be 14,000 hours, or 583 days, of deep sleep. I'd say you have bad wiring, a bad cell, or someone playing with it when you're not watching.
    Well it's not the "secret playtime" issue . I wouldn't really be able to tell if the cell is bad. Is there a specific or typical wiring problem that would allow the board to function normally but still bleed out the charge? It seems to go into DS mode just fine since I get the boot sound again after the correct amount of time.

Thanks again!

What happens if you disconnect the battery and let it sit? Pictures of your wiring, solder joints, etc. might help highlight your issue.

Let the battery sit for a few days and check to see if it's drained. Yes! Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    How much use are you talking about? If it's going from full charge to zero in less than a week and you're not using it at all, then there may be an issue with wiring. If you're playing with it for 15-30 minutes a day and the charge lasts a week, I'd say that's normal.

Side note: Do you have anyone else in the house that might be playing with the saber when you're not around? Kids, parents, roommates? Even people who say they don't like Star Wars are prone to play with lightsabers when no one is watching.

I discovered that I can't tell the difference between brown and orange, and had two wires misplaced. While fixing it I installed an led in the pommel (this is a Graflex 2.0, Rey style) so the vents glow and shimmer on cue with the main LED. Working great, battery seems fine!

Thank you!!

Glad you got it fixed. Color-blindness is a bad thing in this hobby. Or just poor lighting when you're soldering wires.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Glad you figured it out.