Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wiring check; externally driven Lightsaber

Default Wiring check; externally driven Lightsaber

Hi!

Since the recharge ports are also available in smaller sizes I thought about putting 3 more in the bottom or side of my saber and build a stand with the plugs connected to an external driver. In theory that should decouple the LEDs from the CF/PC (not sure about it) and drive them in series from my pwm driver in the stand. Part time light saber part time lamp .
    However I am not an electronics engineer and we only coverd so much electronic basics in school so please look over the wiring diagram and tell me if I got this straight or not.

Link [Edit: New diagram with normal LEDs]

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: The LEDs in the diagram are 2b in series, 1g & 1w FoC via the CE.
    Last edited by rumlyne; 06-17-2016 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Error in diagram; Smart-LEDs

What a cool idea.

One thing I notice is you don't have resisters on your diagram.

You listed the leds as "SmartLEDs" was this a software only reference or are you actually using NeoPixles? I ask because the NeoPixles require the drivers built into arduino style boards. Because of the specific type of coading being provided to the LEDs onboard chip the CF/PC will most likely not control them properly. Never tried it though so who knows.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 06-16-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    You listed the leds as "SmartLEDs" was this a software only reference or are you actually using NeoPixles? I ask because the NeoPixles require the drivers built into arduino style boards. Because of the specific type of coading being provided to the LEDs onboard chip the CF/PC will most likely not control them properly. Never tried it though so who knows.
    ^ this.

Please explain what these 'smart leds' are?

Your 'lamp' base would work if it had a microcontroller in it (ie: Arduino as mentioned) and would be dead simple.

However.. your use of the CF (again as mentioned by FenixFire) would be moot.

Really just a normal LED/CF hook up.. with a direct connection (by-pass) to the lamp base to the LEDs... with a constant current driver and controlled using an Arduino

same approach.. but no Neopixels. (ie: smart leds)

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    What a cool idea.

One thing I notice is you don't have resisters on your diagram.
    Thanks! The CF/PC & CE use constant current drivers so no resistors.

Sorry for the confusion. I use normal crees and just picked a random LED symbol from the library of the program I used for the diagram. I just fixed it and it should now say XQ-E.

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    ^ this.

Please explain what these 'smart leds' are?

Your 'lamp' base would work if it had a microcontroller in it (ie: Arduino as mentioned) and would be dead simple.

However.. your use of the CF (again as mentioned by FenixFire) would be moot.

Really just a normal LED/CF hook up.. with a direct connection (by-pass) to the lamp base to the LEDs... with a constant current driver and controlled using an Arduino

same approach.. but no Neopixels. (ie: smart leds)
    For test purposes I orderd a pwm controller from china but for the final design I also favour an arduino or something similar. The ability to remote control it makes it very compelling!

I'm not sure I understand the meaning of 'moot' although I translated it... If you mean to say that the CF cannot control the neopixels I agree. If you think the CF is underused in this configuration I agree too.

The PLI from the accent pads are not yet in the diagram and althgough I would like to try and build a basic crystal chamber (and thus using more accent pads) I'm not sure there will be enough room in my hilt. After all I want to cram the CF, 2 18650 batteries and speaker in there - preferably in a simple chassis and keep everything easy to disassemble and repair and make the LED-module interchangeableby using connectors and all of that will need a lot of space. Maybe if I go with a smaller battery pack but then I would also need a new charger and that would drive the costs up.

But one step at a time. For now I'm glad to know that the basic design will work. The rest will lay itself out as soon as my hilt arrives. (SF ASP probably was mistake but I will make the best out of it)

Thanks for your help guys!
    Last edited by rumlyne; 06-17-2016 at 01:21 AM. Reason: grammar and idioms

Quote Originally Posted by rumlyne View Post
    Thanks! The CF/PC & CE use constant current drivers so no resistors.

Sorry for the confusion. I use normal crees and just picked a random LED symbol from the library of the program I used for the diagram. I just fixed it and it should now say XQ-E.

For test purposes I orderd a pwm controller from china but for the final design I also favour an arduino or something similar. The ability to remote control it makes it very compelling!

I'm not sure I understand the meaning of 'moot' although I translated it... If you mean to say that the CF cannot control the neopixels I agree. If you think the CF is underused in this configuration I agree too.

The PLI from the accent pads are not yet in the diagram and althgough I would like to try and build a basic crystal chamber (and thus using more accent pads) I'm not sure there will be enough room in my hilt. After all I want to cram the CF, 2 18650 batteries and speaker in there - preferably in a simple chassis and keep everything easy to disassemble and repair and make the LED-module interchangeableby using connectors and all of that will need a lot of space. Maybe if I go with a smaller battery pack but then I would also need a new charger and that would drive the costs up.

But one step at a time. For now I'm glad to know that the basic design will work. The rest will lay itself out as soon as my hilt arrives. (SF ASP probably was mistake but I will make the best out of it)

Thanks for your help guys!

Moot:
    adjective
    1. of little or no practical value or meaning;

You got it...

CF wont be able to control the Neopixels.. (if that is in fact what you mean by 'smart leds'... has that been cleared up?)

I say build the hilt/saber you want FIRST...

then worry about modifying things for the lamp effect later perhaps?

Moot:
    adjective

You got it...

CF wont be able to control the Neopixels.. (if that is in fact what you mean by 'smart leds'... has that been cleared up?)

Unless the main end goal is a Saber Light that doubles as a Light Saber Prop, instead of the Light Saber prop that doubles as a Saber Light. Funny how perspective changes the view of everything.

I've actually been working out similar things. I am using some neopixels and a pro mini. I was planning on making a mount with a built in ftdi connector so I can both power and program.

Moot:
    adjective

You got it...

Thanks that makes more sense than the translation google threw at me.

It's normal crees. I cleared it up in the post you quoted. Sry for the confusion.

Well I have to take into consideration the room I need for the 3 jacks and the wiring and where to put them. But yeah the wiring diagram is all I can do for now.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    I've actually been working out similar things. I am using some neopixels and a pro mini. I was planning on making a mount with a built in ftdi connector so I can both power and program.
    Interesting! I thought of putting a RICE port next to the LED jacks but decided against it. Swapping SD cards is fast enough and I don't think I will change much once its set up properly.

Unless the main end goal is a Saber Light that doubles as a Light Saber Prop, instead of the Light Saber prop that doubles as a Saber Light. Funny how perspective changes the view of everything.
    Tomato, tomato.