Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Soldering EL to mono plug

I posted that on the force boards with detailed pictures - on Loreen's thread.

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

aww tthats where i saw it.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<font size="3"><font color="purple">I don't even bother with the stereo wire anymore, either, like in the elwirecheap.com instructions. I used to go hang out with those guys, their warehouse is just a few miles from where I work. Back when I started making EL blades, the High Brightness wire didn't exist yet. I don't know why those guys don't stock it. [:I] They lost my business and are losing out on it with other EL blade builders.

I'm using Tim's quick and easy soldering method now.[]

It did drive me crazy trying to strip that dang EL wire using a regular wire stripper. I kept cutting the fine wires with it. I decided to bite the bullet and spend the $15 for an automatic one. With all the blades I have made, it was more than worth it to save frustration, and whatever I have left of my sanity!</font id="purple"></font id="size3"> []

In order to see the Light, you must sometimes risk the Dark.

when i put together the blue el blade kit i got from tim, i just soldered the big and the small wires directly to the mono plug. i havent had a break yet.

I just built one last night and this time I took a cue from Tim, he suggested Hot Glue to seal it, I couldn't find my gun so used Clear RTV instead.

May the Force
    Be with You

Marc E.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I used to use rtv until I tried hot glue. It dries 100 times faster and sets up allot harder.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Thanks Tim I guess before I build the Green El I will have to quest for the Glue Gun we have 3 of them but can never find one when you need it.[]

May the Force
    Be with You

Marc E.

I realize this is an old thread, but it seemed like the best place for my question. Is it possible to wire up an entire saber (LED + soundboard + battery pack + any other goodies) just using butt splices instead of soldering?

Quote Originally Posted by Rough Trade View Post
    I realize this is an old thread, but it seemed like the best place for my question. Is it possible to wire up an entire saber (LED + soundboard + battery pack + any other goodies) just using butt splices instead of soldering?
    Yes, this is an incredibly old thread. Is it technically possible? Maybe. However, I wouldn't recommend it. If you are going to use pre-wired stuff, why would you need to do this?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

So I wouldn't have to solder anything. Not that I have anything against soldering, it's just that I happen to have butt splices handy, but not a soldering iron.