Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lightech Industries Powerage

Default Lightech Industries Powerage

IMG_0894.JPGIMG_0894.JPG

Picked up this relic from someone who had it lying around. It's an old Lightech Industries Powerage, the very same one I wanted badly when I was a kid. Ended up finding one a decade after Lightech went under. Feeling very nostalgic tonight. It is still in perfect working condition. For those who don't know, it's an EL saber. 9V driver, no sound.

Thought I would share for history sake and see if anyone had any ideas as how to go about making a new El blade for it. Uses a Mono jack. Also, anyone know if it would be possible to wire up an LED string blade set up for 9V? I thought about converting it to LED but I feel like it would be a shame to hack up something so pretty and antiquated. I kind of want to keep it original as a homage to the early days. Everything north of the choke is solid and would have to be bored out or replicated to convert it.

Anyways, wanted to share and ask. Hope everyone is having a good night!

I'm new to the scene so I've never heard of this blade. That being said I found a tutorial

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...tries-Powerage

Xaviorbat, you linked back to this post. Please try again.

EL drivers are not compatible with LED strings. You'd have to swap out all the electronics. Besides, 9v batteries don't provide enough current to run a string blade properly.

If you don't want to convert it, you might consider building a new one out of MHS designed to look like it. You should be able to make a decent replica with mostly stock (and a few custom) MHS parts.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I remember those! They were one of the first companies to offer a custom sound board for their sabers....it sounded awful compared to what we have today, but at the time it was better than the toy soundboards most of us were stuck using. I almost bought one from them, the Viper Defender, until I found a saber on ebay made by Random Sabers instead. converting to an led string blade isn't going to work unless you change all of the electronics. EL inverters actually invert the 9v DC current into 120VAC, that would very likely pop every led in your string the instant you turned it on. Personally, I'd try to convert it to at least use a single led for the blade and build a 3/4" blade to fit like I did to the random Sabers' model I have.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

I remember them too. Like Jay, I almost bought one, but eventually wound up here instead, after talking with Random Sabers about having a design made.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Blast from the past right Jay-gon!? I wanted the Powerage more than anything, and that sound module was high on my list. I actually have another lightech saber, The VT-900, which was based on the viper defender! It is in pieces and I plan to build it anew. The ID is the same as MHS so I think it will work nicely.

Ahh, won't do that then. I have sent a couple of messages to some very skilled saber smiths, and my thought is to have the emitter section modified, maybe bored out to 1" to hold a custom led and Heatsink setup and blade. I want to keep it very much original, but I think it is just too gorgeous of a hilt for me not to take full advantage of it. It shall be reborn, but this time as a top-notch crystal focus laser sword of awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    I remember them too. Like Jay, I almost bought one, but eventually wound up here instead, after talking with Random Sabers about having a design made.
    I remember random sabers!!! I spent countless hours staring at all the amazing designs. Looks like you ended up in the right place!

RandomSaber - there's a blast from the past! I could spend hour after hour looking through the designs there, both finished and proposed. The enormous backlog kept me from getting one made, and I eventually found my way over here...a long time ago.

Default LightTech EL sabers

Quote Originally Posted by Zahc Zi Phan View Post
    IMG_0894.JPGIMG_0894.JPG

Picked up this relic from someone who had it lying around. It's an old Lightech Industries Powerage, the very same one I wanted badly when I was a kid. Ended up finding one a decade after Lightech went under. Feeling very nostalgic tonight. It is still in perfect working condition. For those who don't know, it's an EL saber. 9V driver, no sound.

Thought I would share for history sake and see if anyone had any ideas as how to go about making a new El blade for it. Uses a Mono jack. Also, anyone know if it would be possible to wire up an LED string blade set up for 9V? I thought about converting it to LED but I feel like it would be a shame to hack up something so pretty and antiquated. I kind of want to keep it original as a homage to the early days. Everything north of the choke is solid and would have to be bored out or replicated to convert it.

Anyways, wanted to share and ask. Hope everyone is having a good night!
    This site is awesome, I just found it! Coincidentally, I have a set of 2 of those lighttech EL sabers.

Thanx,
    Dave
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 07-16-2015 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Forum rules