Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Soldering EL to mono plug

Default Soldering EL to mono plug

Tim,

How do you solder the EL wire to the mono plug without breaking the thin wires? Do you have a special techniques you use? If so, could you enlighten me. I've stripped, soldered, broken, restripped...ad infinatum.

Good thing my blade is only going to be 33"...I do have spare EL...but help!

...how will you know the light unless you have seen the dark? How will you know the good unless you have flirted with the evil?

I don't know about Tim, or anyone else for that matter, but here is what I do.

I start by carfully stripping the EL wire core and seperating out the two strand wires. I then sodder a tiny piece of speaker wire to the 2 EL strands, and then heat shrink that. That gives me a more stable 'platform' for soddering to the mono plug.

Make sense?

http://www.members.shaw.ca/Dahak/

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Here is what I do..hope it helps

-Strip outer plastic exposing the wires
    -scrape coating off tip of big wire
    -bend tip of big wire to a 90 degree
    -position thin wires through side hole while also sliding big wire through front hole
    -crimp big wire in place with pliers
    -solder big wire
    -solder side wires - leave them room to flex dont pull them tight
    -use glue gun to seal it all solid

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Yeah, look at their technique, but don't buy their crap. I tried the wire they sell lured by the cheap price. It's worthless it's so dim.

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

I'll try the technique shown on the site for elwirecheap.com and let you know how it came out. I hope it works.

...I forgot to order a switch with my modular hilt and blade kit...D'oh!

...how will you know the light unless you have seen the dark? How will you know the good unless you have flirted with the evil?

Didn't work. I think soldering this stuff is an operation best left to professionals. I'm calling it quits on this project. I'd rather just spend the money and get a blade that already works. The extra money is worth not being frustrated. This is a hobby...it's supposed to be fun.

well gelu. i was only refering to the chart not their stuff. myself i followed tims technique and it worked perfect.

Lan-ed-tul I know, I was just posting that for the general public, as a warning. I got burned on their cheap crap, so I wanted to save others the expense. I still bought it even after Tim warned me about it. Anyway, I use a different method than both Tim and the one on the elwirecheap website. After I stripp my wire, I wrapp a piece of copper tape at the base of it, fold the thin wires back over it and solder them. Now I have a solid end, easy to solder to anything - ie the mono plug

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.

yeah i think you mentioned that on another thread once or someone else did. i remember reading that someplace. sounds like it would work just fine.