Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RGB String Blade WIP

Default RGB String Blade WIP

I've been pondering the concept for a little while now of how an RGB string blade could work. I'm a fan of the consistency of string blades, but have been pondering how I could get the full use out of more advanced boards, like the CF.

Basic LED blades usually require a ladder of LEDs, but how could that work with 4 legs? I'm still pretty new to string blades in general, so this is definitely going to be a work in progress, and not a build log.

The legs are not trimmed or reinforced at all at this point, they are simply bent and crimped together.

I've become fond of crimping as far away from the joint as possible to create a hinge, which allows the LED to move around. I then weave a very high gauge wire to keep consistent contact up and down the string while keeping that flexibility. I've had very good success with this process and made blades that can go into the heaviest duels with no issues. I'm not sure how well this "hinge" concept will work with 4 legs, because they're going in 4 different directions, creating more of a cage than a ladder. Just playing with it I can feel a little big of flex. Hopefully this will give my blades the kind of resiliency I've been able to develop in the past.

RGB String Blade - Google Photos

Last edited by CET; 06-02-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Images did not come through. I wonder if there would be a way to make a Thin polypropylene ladder structure that would "lock" the LEDs in place, then solder thin gauge wire between the connectors. Then still clear or translucent white heat shrink over them. I know I saw a product that did this several years ago, but can't think of what it was in. Or if one could build their own smd led based string on a flexible board like the 12v strips...obviously this would require 2 strips back to back.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Images did not come through.
    Thank you, the album wasn't set to public. Should be visible now.

I just added a link to the album. If the images aren't visible, the album is public.

Great work. Are those top hat or flat LEDs?

Thanks. They're flat LEDs. I've been using them exclusively for string blades recently because I can stack multiple strings easily, and I can get more wrapping on them for better protection and diffusion.

I still haven't come up with a good solution for plugging them into the emitter. That's where they're the weakest for me. Otherwise, they're surprisingly robust. I've done plenty of dueling and had no problems with the LED ladders themselves.

Great to see your photos - thanks!

I'm pondering a string blade or single LED conversion for my 2004 MR Luke ESB, including a removable blade. I think the usual approach at least for for a sequentially lit string blade is using an 8-pin DIN plug and socket, with the usually metal cased female end bushed into the blade, and the (often plastic) male plug bolted or bonded into the base of the blade holder (but I could be wrong about which way round they are usually used). The push fit between the blade and the holder keeps things tight and reduces the stresses in the connection if you want to duel.

Would something like that work for you? Even if you're not using sequential ignition, I imagine it would be more reliable than something like a 6.5mm headphone plug.

D'oh - just saw your posts on the other thread about plug options.

How many connection pins do yo need? I'll keep an eye out.