Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PX01 - Hand Machined First Build - Rahm Kota Variant - (pic heavy)

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Nice! Love the emitter and modified switch the best!
    Last edited by Cire Yeldarb; 06-02-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Ooooh! Incredible work! Like everyone else, I'm really intrigued by the switch; did you attach the brass piece to the outside of the AV switch, or gut the switch and turned the brass piece into the full clicky part?

I actually ordered a couple of the black av switches so I could experiment.
    I found out by drilling the center of the part you press that it comes off... its a small aluminum disk with a post that they press and expand into a plastic piece (where the screw in the 5th set of pics is threaded into).
    I turned the brass piece to match the diameter and depth of that aluminum disk, then threaded a cut off screw into it, that is threaded into the plastic piece. I can post more closeup pics of the inner workings if you guys want.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix239 View Post
    I actually ordered a couple of the black av switches so I could experiment.
    I found out by drilling the center of the part you press that it comes off... its a small aluminum disk with a post that they press and expand into a plastic piece (where the screw in the 5th set of pics is threaded into).
    I turned the brass piece to match the diameter and depth of that aluminum disk, then threaded a cut off screw into it, that is threaded into the plastic piece. I can post more closeup pics of the inner workings if you guys want.
    I'd love to see that!

Pulled out my macro lens...
    The Third pic shows the plastic piece that is part of the switch (with a piece of brass all-thread in the hole the nub pressed into).
    The disk is missing the nub/cylinder that was expansion fit into the plastic piece (it broke off).
    The last two show Original switch (top left), modified switch (Top right), the disk that popped off when I was drilling the center (bottom left), and the new head.
    Like I said, I matched the shape of the disk and the new head so it matched and fit in the same.

IMG_0020.jpgIMG_0021.jpgIMG_0024.jpgIMG_0025.jpgIMG_0026.jpg

Quick question about that style of leather wrap: How do you keep the leather attached to the saber?

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix239 View Post
    Pulled out my macro lens...
    The Third pic shows the plastic piece that is part of the switch (with a piece of brass all-thread in the hole the nub pressed into).
    The disk is missing the nub/cylinder that was expansion fit into the plastic piece (it broke off).
    The last two show Original switch (top left), modified switch (Top right), the disk that popped off when I was drilling the center (bottom left), and the new head.
    Like I said, I matched the shape of the disk and the new head so it matched and fit in the same.

IMG_0020.jpgIMG_0021.jpgIMG_0024.jpgIMG_0025.jpgIMG_0026.jpg
    Very impressive indeed!

Thank all!! RJ, the leather was attached with contact cement on both the leather and the body tube, once it gets to the right point (according to the directions) it sticks like no other, it would be difficult to remove without damaging the leather now.

Nice. I like the fact that you were able to build two saber (for class credit), metal working/metal lathes/milling machines and etc... Most school projects are turn in and toss out when after its been graded but you Sir have something that you can showcase proudly for years to come. When questioned about who did the custom machining and assembly work you can lift your head high with a slight tone of pride stating, "I did that all myself". Mad skills you have, mad skills.