Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PX01 - Hand Machined First Build - Rahm Kota Variant - (pic heavy)

Default PX01 - Hand Machined First Build - Rahm Kota Variant - (pic heavy)

So last semester I took a robotics course at my local college and one of the assignments was dealing with lights, I decided to make a lightsaber (arduino powered) out of plumbing parts. Unfortunately it was fragile enough that if I hit it on anything it would likely blow apart... So this semester (in addition to my normal classes) I took the machining course, which afforded me the opportunity to make an improved design. I looked around and came across the lightsaber design of Rahm Kota (The Force Unleashed) made by Roland Palotai and liked it so much I modeled mine after it with a slightly different style.

- Currently Unnamed -

I started with a 3D render and then a printed model (to judge size), then took a solid 1.75" round of aluminum and went at it.

IMG_1523.jpgIMG_1551.jpgIMG_1608.jpgIMG_1609.jpgIMG_1611.jpg

I wanted to use the TCSS body (6") so I machined my emitter and pommel to match.

Continued...

I bored the emitter out to receive a Maul removable blade conversion (liked the blade holder/led holder combo) - http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Ha...-kit-P678.aspx

I added some groves to the outside and tried it all together (pommel was a bit heavy with the extra 6" of solid aluminum hanging off ) then went on to finishing the pommel...

IMG_1639.jpgIMG_1645.jpgIMG_1647.jpgIMG_1652.jpgIMG_1658.jpg

Got the pommel finished and bored out to accept an insert (not the one I'm using, gonna go with brass slotted for a speaker later).
    Chopped off the emitter at a 45 degree for looks and got it lined up for the most figety process, milling the coping (had to be perfectly lined up or I'd go nuts...).
    If you are wondering, yes, that is the Maul converter, and no, its not still sticking up that far...

IMG_1659.jpgIMG_1664.jpgIMG_1665.jpgIMG_1668.jpgIMG_1669.jpg

BTW, don't know how to rotate the pics here... they're right on my computer...
    After an hour of lining it up, finally got the cove cut... Then it was trying to line up the switch with the cove... headaches...
    Eventually got it drilled and counterbored for the switch, a 12mm av (heavily modified).

IMG_1671.jpgIMG_1673.jpgIMG_1683.jpgIMG_1684.jpgIMG_1685.jpg

If anyone is curious, the center cap of the typical av switch is a disk with a nub that is expansion fit into a plastic piece (perfect size to hold a 4-40 screw).
    Drilled out for the screws holding the blade holder, and got the retention screw drilled and tapped.
    Turning out not too bad, took a pic with one my teacher was screwing around with making (not my final blade, just one he had).
    I found an Etsy store that sold 1 1/4" by 1/32" thick black leather strap and ordered it (took a while to show up from Canada).
    I used Dap Weldwood Contact Cement to glue it on (it grabs and holds), I recommend 2 coats on the leather as it soaks it up, but I had coated the leather and the body tube (6" TCSS extension).

IMG_1686.jpgIMG_1687.jpgIMG_1690.jpgIMG_1691.jpgIMG_1693.jpg

Tried the stock av switch in and it was ok, but I was going for more.
    I took a piece of brass I had and turned out a switch cap that would work with my disassembled switch.

IMG_1696.jpgIMG_1697.jpgIMG_1698.jpgIMG_1702.jpgIMG_1703.jpg

And here is how it is currently, all the machining is done. I don't know if I'm going to weather it (might wait until I drop it a few times first), but trying to figure out a good method for that (any suggestions?).
    As far as the electronics go, I have a RGRb Cree board from TCSS - http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Re...ova-P1016.aspx
    and I'm looking to mix a nice orange/amber color for now (If anyone has any suggestions on resistor values to try for a good orange/amber I'd be grateful for the start.).
    I'm going with a Nano Biscotte for the board (will eventually upgrade to the CF - reason I got the RGRb) and the speaker holder/sled V6 (when it comes in ) with the Trustfire changeable battery, and I have the 28mm Bass speaker.

IMG_1707.jpgIMG_1708.jpgIMG_1709.jpgIMG_1710.jpgIMG_1711.jpg

Looking good. That's a pretty high-profile switch cap. It looks nice, but I'd be concerned about it bumping on things all the time.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Nice work. Really like what you did with that custom switch cap!