Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Help with first build - Crystal Focus 8

It is not a flaw. As you previously pointed out, you have no experience with "this stuff" or Hardware experience, so you might want to refrain from critiquing things you admittedly know little about.

IF you are using a 7.4V battery solution, then yes, you most likely will be needing external resistors, as they will need to be fairly large to work properly. On the other hand IF you will be using a 3.7V battery solution, and doing the required hack on the CF board, then you should be able to get by with the 2512 SMD resistors.

Once you have the appropriate resistors in place, the rest can be "controlled" either by using RICE or manually editing the contents of the SD card.

The manual does make sense and does have the info you seek, you just don't really understand it.... yet. A CF is not an ideal card for beginners to start out in.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I second FJK on the manual. It explains the function and configuration of the board, and gives basic examples of how to implement its use. As a tool to plan your own solutions it is a good tool once you study and I mean study it like a textbook. What it is not is an instruction manual, as it does not give you a a step by step wire it like this spoon feeding. Nor should it as it is more of a professional board setup for complex wiring and lighting setups.

i may not know electronics, but i know physics and common sense. if it isnt a flaw, then why does it give out 500ma more power than any die can handle? why intentionally give enough power to break something, which then requires you to get external components for no apparent reason? if the board was just set to only have max output of 1000ma, then there would be no need for resistors. it would basically be plug and play, and from what ive read and everyone has said, having the max output as 1000ma instead of 1500ma. and not needing resistors would not effect anything. If the onboard 2512 is what adjusts current, and not an external resistor - then there would be no need to create a board that gives current exceeding any die's power capabilities. If you say its not a flaw, then explain how its not. Because setting the current in rice from 1300ma-1500ma just to then have an external resistor limit it back down to 1000ma anyways, means there was no need to give that 1500ma in the first place.

The drive parameter for non current-regulated channels is not expressed in milliamps. It is expressed as a fraction of "full power" from the battery (using PWM). That is why you need a resistor. If you want regulated channels, use the Color Extender satellite board.
    Last edited by NanoRex; 05-28-2016 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrosius Malachai View Post
    i may not know electronics, but i know physics and common sense. if it isnt a flaw, then why does it give out 500ma more power than any die can handle? why intentionally give enough power to break something, which then requires you to get external components for no apparent reason? if the board was just set to only have max output of 1000ma, then there would be no need for resistors. it would basically be plug and play, and from what ive read and everyone has said, having the max output as 1000ma instead of 1500ma. and not needing resistors would not effect anything. If the onboard 2512 is what adjusts current, and not an external resistor - then there would be no need to create a board that gives current exceeding any die's power capabilities. If you say its not a flaw, then explain how its not. Because setting the current in rice from 1300ma-1500ma just to then have an external resistor limit it back down to 1000ma anyways, means there was no need to give that 1500ma in the first place.
    Some of "us" have need of "more power". I'm not going to sit and justify anything to you - it is what it is, and unless you are an Electrical Engineer (I highly doubt it, based on your previous statements) that knows THAT much better than the one who created this board, its related accessories and ALL of its predecessors, I strongly recommend you quit this line of "reasoning".

I never said the onboard 2512 is what adjusts current - it's just a resistor, just that it will help set the "max" that you send out to the LED when using the Pseudo mixing "mode". Once you have "the ceiling" set, you can go under it to mix colors.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

i have no idea what drive parameter for non current regulated channels is, or what regulated channels are. If you would please explain

You take what im saying as an insult. I am not saying you are incorrect. The human brain is completely incapable of "new" ideas. It can only combine what it already knows. Every advancement of humanity was simply a "do and see what happens" or an accident. So without explaining yourself, i cant know it. And without knowing it, all i have to go on is what i already know - which is why have more power sent out then what is needed? - This line of reasoning is the most direct line of reasoning, and the purest. address the problem, and why it appears to not make any sense - no beating around the bush. All you had to do was spend 1-2 sentences explaining why it gives out 500ma more power than any led uses, and it would have directly addressed the issue as to why it was designed that way.

Maybe the extra current is needed to drive the CeX board when wired for color mixing, or it is providing for future LEDs that may require more current. Some are in the works if suitable cooling and heat transfer can be refined. Or it could be that that was the limits of the standard components and to have proprietary electrical components manufactured was too cost prohibitive. Using resistors to set a ceiling is very common practice because of the latter.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 05-29-2016 at 05:49 AM.

The extra current is there for people to use more than one led on a given channel, or to use led''s that actually use more than 1000ma.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

FJK is correct on this one.

Where people are mistaken is that the board doesn't put out 1500mA. The amount of current put out by the second and third channels (with NO CEx) is dictated by the voltage of the battery and the resistance in the circuit.