Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with first build - Crystal Focus 8

Default Help with first build - Crystal Focus 8

Hey guys so, i am building my first saber. I was originally planning on using the petit crouton, but i ended up getting enough extra money that i went ahead and bought the new CF V8. The only problem is, the manual only shows single led wiring, or wiring that may not be what i want. So i was wondering if i could get some help on how to wire it, and then what resistors to use.

My build so far

Crystal Focus 8
    RGrB Cree XP-E2 Copper Nova
    Rice port
    Recharge Port
    7.4v Li-ion 1400mAh 18500 Battery Pack
    2 16mm Anti-Vandal Blue Momentary Switches
    Premium 28mm Speaker

I also want to maybe do a crystal chamber.

What i want
    Full color mixing
    FOC
    Main Blade color to be Arctic Blue

The manual also describes multiple ways to do multi-LED wiring, so check out those pages for details

yeah, but it has two dies going to foc, and the main die as the red one, will that still give full color mixing

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrosius Malachai View Post
    yeah, but it has two dies going to foc, and the main die as the red one, will that still give full color mixing
    Yes, if you read over the manual (again) each channel that a LED is wired to will allow you to control that particular color, giving you the ability to mix colors. I strongly recommend that you read through the manual a few times to get a good feel for the board, and its abilities.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

so then does that mean i have to wire it exactly as shown, with red as the main color, or do i then tell the board what color is wired where, using rice?

Yes. The board doesn't exactly care what colour is where, but the RICE editor needs to know in order to allow you to adjust the settings more conveniently.
    Last edited by NanoRex; 05-27-2016 at 07:07 PM.

okay so i have read through the manual again, and it is saying that not only will it not have great color mixing, but that for the foc and using the other dice channels, that i should keep the current at max of 1500 and adjust the 2512 resistor instead. Now i have NO experience with this stuff. No electronics hardware experience. So does what its saying mean that i have to basically limit my dice using resistors in order to get the color i want? or is the 2512 resistor an on-board resistor in which i can regulate in RICE? - It is also says that for color mixing, to define the color of the two additional channels, to adjust only the external resistors. Everything here sounds like i wont be able to plug my blade into RICE and change the color, from say blue, to red, or purple. That i will literally just have to pick one color, and can fine tune it slightly by adjusting the current from 1300-1500.

I think you need to read and study the manual more. And check out some YouTube videos of sabers using the CF. the 1500mA is per channel wire each channel to a different die (rgb or rgbw) and you can mix any color an lcd tv can replicate. Using either onboard pex or additional cex.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 05-28-2016 at 03:30 PM.

See replies below in RED

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrosius Malachai View Post
    okay so i have read through the manual again, and it is saying that not only will it not have great color mixing, The color mixing will be pretty good but that for the foc and using the other dice channels, that i should keep the current at max of 1500 and adjust the 2512 resistor instead. The Main LEDs are rated to run at 1000ma (1A), THAT is why you need the resistor. And the type of resistor (2512 vs. external) will depend on which battery pack you have. Now i have NO experience with this stuff. No electronics hardware experience. So does what its saying mean that i have to basically limit my dice using resistors in order to get the color i want? In a way, yes, because if you feed too much voltage/current though the LEDs they could just pop, and then you would need to replace them. or is the 2512 resistor an on-board resistor in which i can regulate in RICE? No, you adjust what is being fed THROUGH the resistor - It is also says that for color mixing, to define the color of the two additional channels, to adjust only the external resistors. Everything here sounds like i wont be able to plug my blade into RICE and change the color, from say blue, to red, or purple. Incorrect That i will literally just have to pick one color, and can fine tune it slightly by adjusting the current from 1300-1500. Color mixing works like that, you pick the color you want and adjut the two colors you are mixing to get what you want (a particular shade of purple.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

okay so i already know that the resistors are to limit the current going to the dice in order to stop them from getting more power than they can handle. Now to figure out how to apply what you said - The main led's are rated for 1000ma. But the board puts out 1500ma to each die? that seems like a big flaw that could have been completely erased simply by only having each output on the board having a max of 1000ma. Then the other part. The 2512 vs external -- So then is the built in 2512 capable of compensating on its own? do i adjust it in rice before firing it up for the first time, in order to set its parameters? - OR is it set at a specific parameter, and using a small 3.7v Battery would then not induce an overwhelming current to the dice, but using a 7.4v would then require external resistors? I know people keep saying read the manual, but the manual does NOT have all the info needed. It has the info on how to run the card - IF you already know all this technical info - which i do not. Sorry for all the questions but i just want to make sure i know EXACTLY what im doing beforehand so i dont potentially destroy a $150 sound card