Thread: Prizm V4 with 6v battery better for Greens@3.7v?

Default Prizm V4 with 6v battery better for Greens@3.7v?

Hello All,
    I'm doing a bit of an odd build right now and had a question about the best battery option. I'm using a Prizm V4 with an Ledengin RGGB (single dome required because of the lens holder). My battery options are 1x14500 3.7v, 2x15270 3.0v (6v) or 2x15266 3.6v (7.2v). I know the board can only take 5.5v but I've got that covered. The greens are 3.6v and 3.7v@700ma and I'll be running them in parallel on a single channel with the red and blue wired on their own. With the Vf of the greens being so close to source with a 3.7v 14500 would I be likely so see better brightness for longer with the 6v? I just don't know if a 14500 will perform well, or at all, under these circumstances. Thanks everybody!

I'm warning you right now, if you put 6 v into that board, you will damage it.

Also ledengines aren't nearly as bright as the tri cree, or tri rebel. There ARE other Leds that operate under a single dome, that are brighter and more efficient. Ledengines are battery hogs, rapidly reducing battery operation while being dimmer than the competition.

I would suggest using the setup advised in the manual. A single, 3.7V 18650 or 18500, depending on space, and a tri cree for maximum brightness and efficiency.

I'm building a kit. I don't have many options other than what they give. I already stated that the board won't be getting 6v so no worries there. 18500's and 18650's won't fit in this hilt. It's only 6 inches. I know the tri cree's are brighter but also, not an option for this build. I am open to suggestions on a single dome RGGB. I couldn't find anything similar. Thanks.

So, if anyone has run a similar setup with a 14500 please let me know if you ran into any problems. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    So, if anyone has run a similar setup with a 14500 please let me know if you ran into any problems. Thanks
    Given that you haven't really your specific setup other than to say the board won't be getting 6v, I am not sure anyone can offer suggestions.

maybe a detailed explanation of how your wiring is currently planned may help..

Easier question: Has anyone run a Prizm with a 4 die led and a 14500? If so, any issues? Thanks for any help!

You're likely to overdraw a 14500 with that many LED dice. Two shouldn't be an issue, three is probably pushing it.

An 18650 is the correct solution, but you say it won't fit in this hilt. It sounds to me like you're trying to do too much, with too little.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

It's a Lethal Crystal Frog AP Yoda saber. I didn't mention it because I didn't purchase it here. Just the board, speaker, etc. I've seen these wired with PC and Nano Biscotte boards but I figured since it required an RGGB led that I'd try a Prizm. It has a drop in battery bay that will hold a 14500 or two 15270. I think I'm going to go another route on this and save myself some headaches. Thanks
    Last edited by Scarecrow; 05-25-2016 at 07:04 PM.