Thread: Just got my photon blade in-it's super weird and cool.

Default Just got my photon blade in-it's super weird and cool.

So I got my photon blade in and realized I ordered it a few inches longer than I meant to, but I like the balance anyway.

I tried it in my purple lightsaber hilt, and without the diffusion wrap it had this weird effect where the tube would be bright green from a side-to-side view, but looking at it at an angle would turn it blazing red. Before I diffused it, it was like, colored green but casting red light. So, cool.

Then I put the film in and the core was red with the outside wall being green.

Testing it on a friend's blue saber tomorrow.

Still need to attach the blade tip permanently. Couldn't find any Weld-On at all the stores around me, seeing if the group I do saber stuff with has anything that'll work.

Methylene chloride and chloroform will both do the job if you have access to a chemical supply company.

Gorilla Glue works well in a pinch, but it doesn't fuse the tip on permanently.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Man, this sucks. I took my blade/tip to a friend who keeps sabers, and he was about to use his weld-on to glue the tip to the blade, but because of the heat wave that just came the weld-on had liquefied and pressurized. It spurted all over the blade and tip just when he opened the cap up, without any external pressure and without even being pointed downward at all. Now it's all a mess and looks terrible, though he's offered to replace it so I'm grateful to him for that, and for offering to weld it in the first place.

Though I do want to ask if sanding the blade as a solution would mean I couldn't duel with it...

Could you put the tip on the other end and hide the mess in the hilt?

The mess is 2 inches from the end in a big 5-inch long series of blobs and smears.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogo View Post
    The mess is 2 inches from the end in a big 5-inch long series of blobs and smears.
    Well when mentoring design students we teach them to turn errant lines into form development...looks like with some sand paper, files, and may be a dremel you could have an "unstable" photon blade. The etching that the solvent did might be a cool effect if deliberately placed once sanded and shallow relief carved to give the blade the surface variance. I know it's not the look you were going for, but no use scrapping a whole blade if it can be repurposed for another aesthetic. Assuming the phosphorous coating is on the interior of the blade.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 05-26-2016 at 09:56 PM.

The phosphorous material is mixed into the polycarbonate, as far as I'm aware. That could work. Will sanding/using methylene chloride weaken the blade? I was planning on using it as a dueling one.

I doubt it is mixed in. That custom compounded PC would be very cost prohibitive unless they sell far more tonage of photon blades than I assume they do, or by chance found an extruders who orders that compound for another product and use the extra for the blades. Even the LED lighting companies only spray and dip coat the coated lenses. Some are now starting to in-press compound it with Color-Matrix technologies but only a few extruders are utilizing this technology as of yet.

I would not sand with the solvent. I was thinking more like painting with it...lightning and arching. Do you have images of the blade lit with the solvent mishap?

Even if compounded into the polymer in theory it should work.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 05-27-2016 at 05:15 AM.

I might do that... of course now I'm realizing that I had intended on getting my little brother a green shoto saber for his size, so maybe cutting this down to length for that could work for him...

I haven't got any pictures of it in a blue led, but it's super noticeable on my purple one when it's at the right angle to make the green come out.