Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: JB's Pathfinder Scratchbuild

Here's a pretty decent representation of my wiring and nearly completed wiring, exclusive of resistors on the blade LED. There are also some resistors on the Arduino to build a voltage divider so I can measure the battery level. Now that I look at it like this, I should probably swap the position of the Arduino and Nano Biscotte. The Arduino is actually flipped over from this, so most of the interconnects are going from end to end. It looks kinda nice, in the theme of the build, but it will be totally concealed and makes everything slightly more bulky. I originally chose this arrangement because I figured the NB would work better further up the hilt, but in reality it would end up about at the middle of my grip. On the other hand, the sensors would end up pretty close to the speaker if moved it. With the bassy, buzzy sound font I'm using I might open myself up to a lot of ghost swings.

The I have 2 main disconnects, one between the ignition section and the logic section, and the other is an external port for serial interface to the Arduino. At the moment serial interface allows me to adjust LED color, stability effects, and brightness, and check battery levels with my phone or computer, as well as reprogram the Arduino. The programming is pretty much complete, and I'm using about 70% of the RAM. I'm not sure what else I would add anyway. I may drop the auxiliary button and go to an audio jack if I can't get it assembled. Debating how best to assemble and arrange the ignition section. My original chassis design is pretty close to the actual construction, so I'll tweak that and get it ordered up as soon as I get the ignition section finalized.

My only wish at this point is that I ordered a colorless blade as well as the purple blade to show off the effects I've coded. I went with purple for display and photo, and didn't even consider getting a colorless blade as well. Penny wise, dollar foolish on that.
    Last edited by jbkuma; 08-16-2016 at 12:18 PM.

Oh....Cram-Fu must be strong with this one.

(err....hope so) ....

That whole breadboard actually fits in the top inch of the white plastic piece, which is the retainer for the switch and the serial port. I can fit the whole thing in as is and I may just leave it at that and and skip the chassis and crystal for now.

I was just mess'in with ya's bro. Your saber body is more then long enough to hold all that plus the crystal chamber. Go for it bro. /thumbs up ....going the be a awesome Lightsaber, can't wait to see it done.

I was going to wait until I was done to post on this again, but I've been really busy lately and I'm only going to be busier. So for now, progress..

Just need to finish final wiring, really, but it'll be a couple weeks before I really have time to do it. (plus I put my good 18650 in my girlfriend's hilt)

The build is 98% done.. still looking for the time to finish it up. In the meantime, here is tonight's inovation:

I filed down the tip of my blade retention screw into a hex key. It's not perfect, but it does the job. The key will allow me to loosen a retention screw to remove the power module. Now I can make my lovely reveal without having to carry a separate tool.

I'm not sure if there's a better way to file a key with basic tools, but I would really love to hear any ideas.

Looks good...you could use a Dremel Metal cut wheel ..using the side of the wheel to file it to shape, but that would only do it faster. Filing it to shape is the best way.

I wish I'd thought of building an old-fashioned hilt, but then, the most experience I've had in such things was a high-school woodshop class.

Looking really good here, Liking what you've done with the look of this hilt
    "But you are mistaken. I am no Jedi"

Thanks guys, I actually haven't gotten a lot further in this build since then, but I've made a bunch of sabers since my last post.

I'm planning on getting back to this this summer, I'll finish the crystal chamber and probably build a second core based on my Arduino based lightsaber development.