Thread: Custom tri Cree RGB - which die is which?

Default Custom tri Cree RGB - which die is which?

The prebuilt RGB tri Cree wasn't in stock, so I ordered the custom (red, green, royal blue).

It is pretty clear which die is the red one, but how do you determine which colors the other two die are? There don't appear to be markings on the star.

Thanks in advance!

If you have a battery, you can touch the +&- BRIEFLY to identify which is which. So long as said battery is less than or equal to the forward voltage you should be fine. You could always put a resistor in line to test, just to be safe

I have to put resistors on them anyway, so may as well do that before the color test.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by bunger View Post
    I have to put resistors on them anyway, so may as well do that before the color test.

Thanks!!
    But you may wanna know which is which for calculating the right size resistors

So best idea would be to calculate the resistor for red (as it will be the highest resistance) and use that for testing which die is which.

I already have my resistorss:

.47ohm .5w resistors (one for green and one for blue)

1.2ohm 3w resistor for red

It's pretty obvious which one is red, so that will be the bigger resistor and the other two will go on the remaining die.

Yep. Can't argue with that.