Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blade Warping on display

Default Blade Warping on display

I'm displaying my sabers horizontally on the wall. However, I am concerned about the blades warping as I hear of it happening, but have never found any solution despite the considerable amount of research I've done. I am using the 1" thick wall blades, which are the strongest blades I've seen so far. Is there any way I can prevent my blades from warping while hanging them horizontally?

Blog Entries

How far from the wall is the blade? Would it be possible to do several discrete nails under it along the length?
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

The blades are about 1/8" away from the wall

Polycarbonate shouldn't warp. I had a saber on display for years and didn't have an issue
    -Sidd-

Quote Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
    Polycarbonate shouldn't warp. I had a saber on display for years and didn't have an issue
    I'd contest that. Mine, which is a thick-wall blade--though from one of the companies not discussed here--has warped a little, though I'm not sure if it came that way or if it's just from leaning it on the wall pommel up too often, putting the weight of the handle on the blade. It's barely noticeable though unless held to a straight surface and turned a bit to find the slight curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogo View Post
    I'd contest that. Mine, which is a thick-wall blade--though from one of the companies not discussed here--has warped a little, though I'm not sure if it came that way or if it's just from leaning it on the wall pommel up too often, putting the weight of the handle on the blade. It's barely noticeable though unless held to a straight surface and turned a bit to find the slight curve.
    was your blade some sort of transwhite blade?

I keep all my sabers in a corner and on wall racks and have for years(at least 10) I have never seen a polycarbonate blade warp. Now acrylic blades on the other hand will warp easily especially if the blade gets slightly warm
    -Sidd-

Most of the blade warping issues I've ever heard of in this hobby were all related to the MR Force FX and some of the Hasbro Signature Series FX sabers, which used a slightly thinner wall tubing than what is sold here at TCSS.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    Most of the blade warping issues I've ever heard of in this hobby were all related to the MR Force FX and some of the Hasbro Signature Series FX sabers, which used a slightly thinner wall tubing than what is sold here at TCSS.
    I dont think MR used polycarbonate either. I was using an old MR blade for a project recently and it shattered the end off and the way it broke it was more like clear plastic than poly c
    -Sidd-

was your blade some sort of transwhite blade?

I keep all my sabers in a corner and on wall racks and have for years(at least 10) I have never seen a polycarbonate blade warp. Now acrylic blades on the other hand will warp easily especially if the blade gets slightly warm
    No, it's a definitely polycarbonate, not at all transwhite. To be fair I may have left in the the car on a warm day a couple times, not sure. Not oven baking temps though.

I dont think MR used polycarbonate either. I was using an old MR blade for a project recently and it shattered the end off and the way it broke it was more like clear plastic than poly c
    PolyCarb is clear plastic...just a different molecule that has a higher crystalline structure than the polypropylene used in the hasbro. PC should not warp unless there are large heat differentials. Depending on UV treatment on Windows, surfaces in direct sunlight through a car window can exceed 200 degrees on an average day...if you live in a more arid area like the Southwest it can be exceedingly more. I had a client forget an sla in his car over the weekend in pheonix and on Monday he basically had a blob of acrylic in a roll of bubble wrap.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 05-26-2016 at 08:55 PM.