Thread: Dogo's first build plans--Curved hilt Photon Blade

Default Dogo's first build plans--Curved hilt Photon Blade

Hey all. Right now I'm in the process of building a curved hilt saber for use in dueling and theatrical combat. It's not my first saber I've owned, but it's my first build.

I've already bought a curved Rainbow Vacuum Wand for the curved section, and I've just placed an order for photon blade components and sinktube adapters that should be coming in later this week.

------
    For the pommel I'm using Blade Holder Style 12 to emphasize the lower curve, and I'm going to have it Powder Coated in a veined copper with a Red Tapered Blade Tip jutting out to make a sort of gemmed effect. I think the veined copper will offset with the dark red really well.

For the body I'm going to use a 3'Fluted Extension piece and couple it with the curved section/sinktube adapters, which should be about 4-5 inches. So about 8 inches on the body.

For the Emmiter I'm wanting Blade Holder 17, but I'm worried that the shallowness of it's tube won't work well for dueling, so I'm figuring that out.

---

For the wiring, I plan on having an illuminated Blue or Green Switch mom. switch hooked to a latching adapter, a recharge port hooked to a 7.4v Li-On, and a B/B/B tri-cree.
    I'm also going to thread a few wires with quick-connects through the main body that will allow me to switch the emitter and pommel whenever I want to change between a dueling and a typical swordfighting style.
    Also means I'll have to switch to a lighter weight blade when I do dueling style though.

-----
    The Color scheme of the saber in general is going to be a burned out look with leather wrapping and copper veined emitter/pommel. I'll be going to a local shop for the powder coating since I'm going to make my final decision on the look after I see the saber hilt constructed and in my hands.

I've spent the last half-year on the boards reading everything I could and watching all the tutorials, and have yet to work with electrical gear but I plan on getting soldering equipment soon and practicing on little LEDS and batteries. I know I'm kind of jumping into this without experience, but that tends to be the way my life goes and I think I'll be okay.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Dogo View Post
    For the pommel I'm using Blade Holder Style 12 to emphasize the lower curve, and I'm going to have it Powder Coated in a veined copper with a Red Tapered Blade Tip jutting out to make a sort of gemmed effect. I think the veined copper will offset with the dark red really well.
    Looking forward to seeing this part specifically!

Good luck on your build!

Agreed! Can't wait to see it.

image.jpg
    So I took the vacuum tube to a local hardware store and had my sink tube adapters hammered in there good after cutting it down to size. I was going to drill screw hole in at first, but believe me, after the obscene amount of effort to get them in that curved section those are never, never ever coming out.

image.jpg

And I spend an hour yesterday getting the blade film into the photon blade. Lots of swearing involved as I had never done it before. Came out way better than I thought, which is good. A friend is letting me use his weld-on on Thursday to affix the tip. I got to test it on one of my stage combat group's royal blue sabers and it came out great, though I may need more diffusion wrap.

Also need to cut a few inches down, I accidentally ordered a 34 inch instead of 32(which has a much better balance), making it very awkward.
    Last edited by Dogo; 05-24-2016 at 07:05 PM.

I've finally gotten back to this after a year of not having the cash to continue.

I've just ordered the parts to finish the hilt. Going to put the original idea for the pommel on hold and try to work that out after I've finished the saber entirely using a more regular pommel.

I haven't ordered the electronics yet, holding off on that for a while til I can afford the around $100 that they'll run. At least I can maybe use it for dueling without lights.

Also, I'm going to have to order a new photon blade as an accident with the glue/fusing stuff made the surface all melty looking in spots. Might turn it to an unstable blade look though.

Ugh, I just put the order in today and I'm already wanting it to be here. At least I can take them to a local powder coating place and work on making it all pretty before the electronics are installed in the all too distant future.

Got the pieces in!
    image.jpg
    I'm thinking more of a veined silver powder coat. Maybe a couple fin like grips on the bottom near the pommel.

Definitely going to need a lightweight blade for this. The bend makes the balance too awkward for a heavy one.

The pommel insert rattles a bit, but that's fixable. I need to sandpaper my 2-inch segment's threads so the switch hole lines up with the center.