Thread: A recommended blade length please?

Default A recommended blade length please?

I'm 5' 2.5", does anyone have a recommended blade length? A measurement specifically from the tip of the hilt out. I'm thinking a 32" blade and my blade holder has a sink of about 2.65" so an exposed blade of 29.35"?

Buy whatever you think will be the longest you could use will be, and then you can always use a pipe-cutter, or (very carefully) a saw to customize the length.

Yeah, that's what I plan on doing today. I bought a 37" blade and will probably cut it down to a 32". I have a great band saw at my work to cut it down to size. I pulled up a pic of Luke Skywalker from the Star Wars Battle Front game with him holding a light saber down at his side with hand on the upper portion of the hilt, blade pointed down and it is just above ground about 2 inches. I'll replicate this stance at my height and see where I need to trim the blade.

If you're using a bandsaw to cut the blade stock, I would put a piece of paper towel in the end to prevent the cut bits of plastic from entering the blade. They're a pain to remove afterwards.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Ha, wish I would have got this before I cut it! Anyways, I managed to clean it out with a large gauge wire with a rag taped to it and a spritz of Windex. My own modified pipe cleaner!

I did read somewhere here that a good measurement is from your elbow to the floor minus 2" for a total length.

Cool, thanks!

A common blade length for Katanas is from your hand to your ankle. The way I measure is to grab a yard stick and hold it so the low number edge is at ankle height I then read what measurement is at my hand.