Thread: Sanding down AV switch to expose brass

Default Sanding down AV switch to expose brass

For my current build I'd really like to use a plain brass (not "gold" or polished) AV switch with a purple ring. I've found plain brass switches, but only from a UK supplier, but the only switches I can find with a purple ring are either black or chrome. I believe the material is brass, but I'm not sure if it sanding down would be a reasonable way to get to the brass layer underneath. If anyone has any insight into what kind of result I might expect, I would greatly appreciate it. Any thoughts on weather it'd be easier to start with the black or chrome?

Failing this, I may attempt to fabricate a switch using a hole saw to cut a disc out of the the tubing then rig something up with a contact switch.

Thank you for any input you might have!
    Last edited by jbkuma; 05-18-2016 at 03:39 PM.

I was in a similar position a couple years back, I needed a brass switch with a white ring. A "Solo" friend of mine was able to sand it down with the help of his amazing machine shop and sent one to me. I tried my hand at it as well with sandpaper, still turned out good. The tough part of course was the section inside the ring. Hard to get pressure on it when it keeps trying to "press" into the switch body!

So yes, it can be done. That is, of course, if the switch you are using is actually made of chrome plated brass... Good luck with yours!

Thank you, this is all great help! Some more research has showed that the black switches are often anodized aluminum. I'll go with the chrome since that is almost certainly brass.

Try a micro media blaster. Ive masked off the ring and taken the chrome off of them before with good results. Its a lot easier to put right where you want it than sandpaper. And less aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanjel View Post
    Try a micro media blaster. Ive masked off the ring and taken the chrome off of them before with good results. Its a lot easier to put right where you want it than sandpaper. And less aggressive.
    I wish this was an option for me. Unfortunately I live in a NYC apartment so it's almost exclusively hand tools for me, plus a brace of drills. My girlfriend already gives me a hard time about my tools, although much less since the first saber I made (for now just an empty hilt) was for her!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    I wish this was an option for me. Unfortunately I live in a NYC apartment so it's almost exclusively hand tools for me, plus a brace of drills. My girlfriend already gives me a hard time about my tools, although much less since the first saber I made (for now just an empty hilt) was for her!
    Ain't building in a shoebox grand. I'm in the same boat dude. UES.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Ain't building in a shoebox grand. I'm in the same boat dude. UES.
    Howdy, neighbor! I've been admiring your work. Washington Heights here.

This is my progress so far. The middle ring will be something more complicated that will house the switches, but my first attempt at doing it by hand was aborted halfway through.
    pf0-2.jpg

This was my original design, or last design before building. I did a mock up with craft foam and decided to shorten it a bit and simplify the shroud.
    pf-a05.jpg