Thread: Can I Run a Tri Cree and NBv3 off (2) AA?

Default Can I Run a Tri Cree and NBv3 off (2) AA?

The title is really the point of the thread. I'm assuming not, since the forward voltage of all 3 of the LEDs are above 3v (3.47, 3.41, and 3.15), but I thought I'd check anyway, since my brain cannot wrap itself around the basic laws of electronics for some reason. I'm trying to avoid needing to install a recharge port for budget reasons, and was hoping to use the MHS speaker and 2x AA battery holder from the store.

The item description says it's compatible with (2) 14500 Li ions at 3.7v each, so I assume those would be sufficient to run the Tri Cree? For that matter, the item description doesn't indicate if the battery pack is wired up in series or parallel, does anyone know how it comes wired? I'm pretty sure that would make a difference in the resistor size.

I do my best to search the forum for these answers, but I don't have the technical vocab to do effective searching. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Loquinho View Post
    The title is really the point of the thread. I'm assuming not, since the forward voltage of all 3 of the LEDs are above 3v (3.47, 3.41, and 3.15), but I thought I'd check anyway, since my brain cannot wrap itself around the basic laws of electronics for some reason. I'm trying to avoid needing to install a recharge port for budget reasons, and was hoping to use the MHS speaker and 2x AA battery holder from the store.

The item description says it's compatible with (2) 14500 Li ions at 3.7v each, so I assume those would be sufficient to run the Tri Cree? For that matter, the item description doesn't indicate if the battery pack is wired up in series or parallel, does anyone know how it comes wired? I'm pretty sure that would make a difference in the resistor size.

I do my best to search the forum for these answers, but I don't have the technical vocab to do effective searching. Thanks everyone!
    Use a single 18650 or 18500. The NB can not handle the 7.4v of two 14500s in the AA holder. If locked to the holder use 1 14500 and 1 dummy cell, but you will have short run time.

So it sounds like the battery holder is wired in series, not parallel, if the two 14500s add up to 7.4v. Can I just rewire the holder to be in parallel so I have 3.7v output with double the 14500 run time?

If it's constructed like most 2 aa holders no the jumper terminal is physically one stamped part. but I have not specifically seen the one tcss carries.

If you really don't want to use a recharge port, you can always use the MHS speaker mount V6 and 18650 battery holder with an 18650 battery. It'll last much longer than a 14500.

Quote Originally Posted by NanoRex View Post
    If you really don't want to use a recharge port, you can always use the MHS speaker mount V6 and 18650 battery holder with an 18650 battery. It'll last much longer than a 14500.
    Oh yeah, forgot about that speaker and holder combo. Match it with one of the button end bearskins of the 18650 battery like the Thrustfires in the store.

I'd like to use that part but it's not in stock right now and I need to get this done on a time table for a friend's husband's birthday. I'm trying to work with what I can source in the shop. I think I found a way to make it all work with what's there now.

I'd love to ask when the emitter and pommel I'm hoping to use will be back in stock, but I've heard the owner doesn't like being pestered with those questions. Is there a usual restock time I can expect? Weeks, months?

I was looking into doing that, how short are we talking?

Quote Originally Posted by nathanielreykun View Post
    I was looking into doing that, how short are we talking?
    Your best bet would be to use a single cell 18650 Li-ion battery.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com