Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to design a saber blueprint?

Default How to design a saber blueprint?

Hi guys! I am new to saber building and i've been looking to make my own saber for some time now. I think I know how to assemble the internal stuff and I have a good design for the outside of my saber. The problem is that I want to machine my saber (instead of buying MHS parts) but I don't know how. What exactly is required in a hilt to hold the Heatsink and internal stuff? I plan on making a chassis to go in it as well, using TCSS supplies. I won't be able to actually machine the hilt myself because I have no experience with a mill or lathe. My dad knows some guys who have experience and could probably make it for me but.. I need to give them blueprints. All the blueprints I have tried to make have turned out amateurish at best. I don't want to waste these guys time so if you guys could help me out that would be great!

Blog Entries

Welcome.

I think your first steps are to learn what software you need and then how to use it. Google, YouTube and possibly even Skillshare and Lynda.com will probably serve you well for this.

Good luck.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

This sounds like an ambitious first project. What format do they want the blueprints in?

I think they want it in a PDF.

So, I've been looking around the forum and showed my dad some different types of blueprints I found. We like how im2fst4u's blueprint for "Afterburner" looks. Anyone know how to make something like that?

That Afterburner thread is still active. Why don't you ask im2fst4u over there?

Its ultimately up to the machine shop you are using.. (SO ASK THEM!)

Most professional shops will want a CAD/CAM type file.. to help cut down on the time to 're-work' a hand drawing or something..

That being said.. asking how to machine something that does what the MHS system does... well seems like copying.. no? (and I doubt you'll get much feedback on how to copy the MHS system we all love and respect)

If you are using an outside source to machine... go a custom route.

* threaded pieces (since its custom to you. and this hilt.. the TPI doesnt matter) (or even just slip fit/set screw pieces)
    * a blade stop on the emitter piece
    * ID, and OD of the hilt is also up to you.. and what you want it look like.. and what you plan on putting inside.

I agree with what you are saying. I love the custom saber shop and I didn't mean to show any disrespect. This will be an almost entirely custom hilt but I want to be able to make something that will be able to hold a chassis made with TCSS parts (and all of the wiring and Heatsink.. Etc) and I was also hoping to use the pommel style 3 V2. I was thinking of making my hilt with a 1" ID as well but I am still getting info on that.

If it needs to be TCSS compatible, why not use MHS blanks and have them customised?

Quote Originally Posted by Sable Carinthre View Post
    I agree with what you are saying. I love the custom saber shop and I didn't mean to show any disrespect. This will be an almost entirely custom hilt but I want to be able to make something that will be able to hold a chassis made with TCSS parts (and all of the wiring and Heatsink.. Etc) and I was also hoping to use the pommel style 3 V2. I was thinking of making my hilt with a 1" ID as well but I am still getting info on that.
    look at the diameter of the chassis parts you plan to use...

if you want to use a TCSS/MHS pommel though... thats making 'mhs' compatible parts. (albeit for personal use as you say.... but still)