Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: alternate blade retention

Default alternate blade retention

is there another way to secure the blade other than a screw? i would love to have a chuck like emitter or release similar to a socket wrench. i have a few ideas flying around my head but nothing concrete.

maybe something like a mag release

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

someone else was toying with the idea of a chuck-like system, not sure if it ever went anywhere though

i believe the chuck style will work. if designed right those things can really hold tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vand-Alar View Post
    i believe the chuck style will work. if designed right those things can really hold tight.
    Well, you'd be the first, because some of the best minds have been working on it for a while and haven't accomplished much.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Last time it was brought up, I believe Acerocket mentioned he'd seen it done once before. It's a very complicated and expensive solution to a problem that's solved with a $0.30 screw and a matching hole. There's a reason very few people go that route.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Sounds like a cool idea. I would think the place to look would be the quick release connectors for pneumatic tools: air hammers and whatnot.

Agreed with Silver Serpent...do you have any idea whats in a socket wrench/quick release connectors....(more then a screw)...a spring, a ball baring, a push pin ....I would go on but you get the point.

It could be accomplished by a skilled machinist and some good understanding of how collets work. Though if paying for the work I would bet it would be several hundred dollars of time plus materials. Two theaded parts with a tapered internal and two sets of threads on one. Then the collet it self.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 05-11-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Any collet based retention system would pretty much be incompatible with any emitter shrouds you'd have on your hilt, because you'd have to find a way to tighten the blade holder and keep those in the proper orientation. I agree it would be a really neat concept, but a screw is still the way cheaper and easier way to go.