Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Mortician

Default The Mortician

Hello! This is an MHS-based saber I made for my girlfriend. This is by far the most complicated build I have done so far and I'm really proud of it. I hope you all like it!

The Mortician:
    Saber.jpg

NEC Spark Color 2 (couldn't get my hands on a PRIZMv4 )
    RGRoyalB Tri-Cree
    2w Bass Speaker
    GOTH3Designs Internal Chassis

This saber was meant to look like it's user literally took a piece of her victim and put them on her saber as a trophy! The crystal is exposed from a close call in an intense duel.
    I spent a long time working on the faux bone bits. I wanted them to replicate Madcow's amazing Krayt bone pieces, and I think for a first try I did alright!

It's a one-handed saber in my hands, but for her it's definitely a two-handed grip.
    Size.jpg

The controls:
    Controls.jpg

It has a illuminated red AV switch and matching crystal chamber as well:
    Crystal.jpg

Here's the blade in red:
    Red.jpg

Thanks for checking this out!

For those wondering what other colors there are, here's a few:
    Cyan/Arctic Blue
    Cyan.jpg

Green
    Green.jpg

Orange
    Orange.jpg

Purple
    Purple.jpg

Silver
    Silver.jpg

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

I like it! Good job on your first attempt at the bone effect! I have been mulling over a saber design with the bone effect too, definitely looks like a lot of work though!

Beautiful work on the bone shroud! Out of curiosity, what did you end up using to make it?

Thanks! I used regular 1.5" ID PVC pipe. I cut it into the shape I wanted and then sanded it down to be thin enough for light to pass through. It's really messy and time consuming. After I got the shape I wanted, I used a knife to cut grooves in it and I painted it black and sanded it all off, leaving it only in the grooves and other markings left from the original sanding. It's not quite the same size as MHS parts, so I don't really know what to do about that. Maybe heat it? I guess I'll have to work on it some more!

That's a unique shroud design. I love it!

I've also used 1.5" PVC to make faux bone, but your work looks way better than mine.

One thing I did when practicing a shroud design in slightly-too-big pvc was to put a layer of duct or masking tape on the inside of the pvc. I found it shrunk the inner diameter just enough to take out the wiggle between it and the saber. Perhaps that may work in your case, if the pvc is not too large?

Quote Originally Posted by Kreyhn View Post
    One thing I did when practicing a shroud design in slightly-too-big pvc was to put a layer of duct or masking tape on the inside of the pvc. I found it shrunk the inner diameter just enough to take out the wiggle between it and the saber. Perhaps that may work in your case, if the pvc is not too large?
    REALLY?! I would never have guessed that.

Com Scan has detected an abundance of sarcasm in this thread.

I thought it could be helpful, but should I stray from sharing fairly common tips and advice?

No sarcasm, I'm genuinely surprised that works like that.