Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Naasad Tal's First Saber - Starkiller Replica from MHS parts

Default Naasad Tal's First Saber - Starkiller Replica from MHS parts

Greetings vode, I hope I picked the right place for this thread (if not, feel free to relocate it)

I am working on a Starkiller Training Gear costume for my 2nd 501st approved costume & of course I need a lightsaber.

Starkiller's hilt is by far one of my all time favorite hilts so I had to make sure I did it justice. I have a large con coming up in just a few weeks & I knew that I wasn't going to be able to get a combat-ready hilt together in time for that so I made myself a PVC hilt which will serve as a decent stand in til I finish up my combat hilt.

Here is my PVC hilt:

The PVC hilt does what it's supposed to do (look good), but it's not strong enough for combat (which is the end goal for my saber), so I looked into commissioning someone to make me a screen accurate Starkiler hilt out of aluminum, but that didn't work out. After that, I decided to tackle the job myself & set about reading everything I could about the subject. I've been thru all of Madcow's video tutorials (absolutely amazing stuff in there) & I've spent the last 2 weeks pouring over items in the shop & assembling what I think is everything I'm gonna need for my build. Below is a render done on the MHS builder of the basic body:

Here's the list of parts I'll be using for the body:
    - MHSV1 blade holder style 2
    - 4" extension
    - 5" extension
    - MPS Pommel Style 10
    - Double Male Connector style 1 for connecting the extensions (shown in later MHS Builder renders)
    - MHS Sleeve Material (for the grip & graflex style shroud)

When I first started planning out my saber, I knew space was going to be an issue because of the crystal chamber, then I found Rob's video on building a chassis & decided that's probably going to be the best option for saving space (plus it looks freaking cool :P). I drew up a blueprint of my plan for the Chassis which will also house the crystal chamber. One of the things that I have always been interested in is electronics & I'm REALLY looking forward to getting a chance to do that with this saber. Here'e the chassis blueprint which is drawn to scale as I needed to make sure the speaker was in the right place for what I have planned:

I've got all the parts for the chassis picked out (except the spacers which are out of stock currently) & I will probably be picking those up soon since they are pretty cheap & they are in stock at the moment.

Thanx for taking the time to read thru my build thread, I am SUPER excited to start working on this & see it come to life. I'm looking forward to hearing your compliments & critiques as this build progresses.
    Last edited by NaasadTal; 06-09-2016 at 08:04 AM.

If your end goal is dueling with this saber I'd rethink that gender changer and put in a double male connector instead for much added strength in that joint. Those gender changers can be a weak spot IMHO.

Thanx for the tip Quix, I had heard that the gender changers were kinda weak, but I couldn't find a double male connector that would accomplish what I had in mind as far as look & function went without adding extra length to my already long hilt, I'll have to go back into the store & see what other options I can find.
    Last edited by NaasadTal; 05-04-2016 at 02:34 AM.

So I did some more searching & I found a double male connector that only adds about 1/4" to the overall length so I'll be using that instead of the gender changer & hopefully this will solve the strength issue...below is the revised render with the double male connector between the extentions (inside the red circle)

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Looks like a good plan so far! I actually put the same parts together in the builder a couple months ago trying to find the closest I could get to Starkiller with MHS parts, so I am glad we are on the same page!

I look forward to seeing what you come up with for some of the more challenging aspects of this saber, it may inspire me to dust off my plans and build my own version!

Thanx Cire...I think I've got myself a pretty good heading so far & as soon as parts become available, I will start collecting them as I'm able.

Keep checking back & I'll post progress as it happens.

Hey vode, haven't posted in here for a while, been doing more research & I have changed my hilt components a couple times.

I'm toying with another component change & I wanted to get your opinion on something. I'm now thinking about using activation box style 1 on my hilt & using the PLI in the store in it, my question is this, is it possible to cover the PLI to protect it? The pics show it completely exposed on top of box 1.

Thank in advance for your input on this

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Use some clear heat shrink over the pli before you bolt it down

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

By the way, what are your new plans for hilt components?

Thanx for the tip Cire, was kinda looking for a way to hide the PLI inside the activation box.

As far as the changes go, it won't be anything major...just making the activation box "functional" & adding an extra level to the chassis so the speaker sits in a different position inside the grip.