Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Afterburner" From Scratch/First Saber/CAD/Machined

Here's some more pictures of work done on the bushiness end of my saber.

First drilled and Tapped holes in the hilt and emitter.

Testing out the screw from TCSS. It's awesome the emitter lines up perfectly with the holes when the LED heatsink is inserted! Special thanks to Tim for getting two identical screws for me!

The first finger groove, that was fun to machine. So pretty! I was originally planning only one at the top.

The emitter tip. Whooo! that was fun with the flycutter! so nice! So sharp I literally cut myself on it! Put a nice chamfer on there later.

Another view. I love those angled holes!

With inserted with the hilt body. I'm not sure why this picture makes the curves look different but believe me they are the same radius and are in line with another.

With the screws and blade. Note that the bottom screw isn't fully seated; that surface and the hard edge wasn't finished yet.

See? Now we have a nice rounded edge and the surface is smooth.

Next post will be about the pommel!

Very interesting so far...I am watching you..carefully...
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

Wow! Very impressive saber! What software did you use to make the blueprints?

I used inventor for the blueprints. It makes them quite nicely, places 3d views easily, I can write all the details I want and dimensioning is a snap.

I thought I could sense you were TheSilverDark. The Force is strong.

Here's the Pommel!

First machining. Pommel #1 This one was turned to scrap because I made the outside diameter of the threads the size of the internal diameter of my hilt. In other words, Threads didn't thread! Oops!

Pommel #2

This one I had the threads made for the pommel and hilt properly. So they fit like a glove.

So if you guys remember from the blueprint and renderings I wanted to do some sweet triangular grooves in the pommel. Well that proved to be more difficult than I thought. It would have been way too finicky to machine to a point like that. So I went the the next best thing! Lasers! Laser engraving that is. It's as tough as the aluminium, creates a nice smooth raised texture, very precise, and I think it looks pretty cool. That scrap piece proved useful at this stage surprisingly! It allowed for the guys at my local shop to do some tests with holding and engraving so the final product was perfect. They liked the project so much they did it half off! Whoo!

The next post will be final details and the reveal, so stay tuned!

Looking good, can't wait.

Here's the second finger groove machined in, with fresh knurling for great battle grip.

The lower finger groove.

Topside Power switch hole.

Bottomside tactile switch hole. This one needed some support for the tactile switch with surface area to tape it down.
    (You'll see the switch soon)

And finally a hole for the covertec clip.

Covertec installed with a modified nut for a spacer. Plus the 3D printed pommel insert, also painted.

Finished! Sorry I took so long to upload this, It was done many months ago...

Love the look and feel of that tactile switch! It allows for subtle use of the saber's other functions; just a little squeeze with the palm overtop.

I love the angled holes and emitter shape.

This is an accurate picture of the color I custom made for the saber. It's a wonderfully rich blazing orange. Fitting for my Afterburner. It's light makes it seem like the room has a fire lit in it.

Feel free to ask any questions about the saber, happy to answer.

I got a blade plug in the works, just needs a bit more modification before I'll post about it. Hopefully soon!

Blog Entries

Came out great. Nice job.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末