Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Afterburner" From Scratch/First Saber/CAD/Machined

Default "Afterburner" From Scratch/First Saber/CAD/Machined *Pic Heavy*

Hey Guys! I thought It was about Time I posted about the Saber I've built! I'm gonna post a bunch of build pictures, Hopefully you guys like it!

First here's the original blueprints I made:

The Idea is to have a functionally battle ready saber. That is why I incorporated multiple finger grooves and knurling in the design. (I update the position of these things later) I wanted a little automotive/aerospace look to it. So I have an exhaust tip for the emitter and jet engine for the pommel.

But all in all it came out just like I wanted it to. I'll describe a bit of what I did along the way, feel free to ask any questions about anything specific.

Fictional feature of the saber; Has a engine to rocket the saber towards a target. Like a javelin but no throwing. Using the force to activate the engine the saber launches like an arrow towards it's target, piercing them through. Guided by the force via the Jedi they can direct the saber through multiple targets and return it to themselves. The engine can also be activated in short range scenarios to surprise the enemy with a penetrating burst of kyber crystal energy. The Blade color is a burning orange. Showing the rogue nature of the Jedi who wields it, who's burning passion for justice will not be stopped by the borders of traditional Jedi. Traveling to the dark to bring light.
    Last edited by im2fst4u; 05-04-2016 at 08:38 PM.

Here is some outdated CAD pictures. There is a second finger groove added near the emitter, the finger groove near the pommel is moved right close to the chamfered edge there, a bottom aux switch hole and I turned off the knurling. I would get new pictures for you guys but Inventor doesn't like loading the knurling anymore. It makes the model very complex and slow to work on.

If you guys are interested I have a CAD file of a polycarbonate blade and of MHS Heat Sink V3 if you want to incorporate it into your designs.

I was originally thinking of making the pommel and emitter of Titanium but the material proved too difficult to find it the prairies. I was really hoping to do some electro anodizing with the titanium, either giving a solid orange or a "Flame tipped" look on the exhaust/emitter end. The other option was powder coating. But out here it became difficult to find someone who could do orange powder coating, and I wasn't too sure how expensive it would be sending out to CSS for the work. But it turned out nice in the end without any extra color.
    You'll see in some more machined pictures soon!
    Last edited by im2fst4u; 05-02-2016 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by im2fst4u View Post
    Reserved for CAD Pictures.
    Renderings...they are called renderings...and don't forget to turn perspective on!

Haha, yep you are right Fenix.

I tried looking at my model just now it perspective. Nope, nope. I can't look at it like that, it hurts. haha. I hope these pictures will satisfy!

Hurts...what are you an engineer...they're the only breed I have ever known who can stand to look at things in iso view. The non-converging lines as they approach the horizon drive me bat-crazy. Actually the main reason I left the dual electrical/mechanical engineering degree program and switched to Industrial Design, the hand drawing ISO views drove me crazy because it did not look realistic, and I could always draw it faster and more representative in 2 and 3 point perspectives.

Inventor...yeah must be an engineer or machinist.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 05-02-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Try keyshot, you can get a 14 day trial and it is by far the best and easiest rendering program I have used in 15 years. I think it has a direct import for inventor, if not Iges or step files import just as easy. It has displacement rendering to just apply the graphic texture to the surface and the rendering software will take care of the knurling uv displacement. No need to crash the system by modeling in the texture just to get the kurling in for a rendering.

If you want to see slow CAD models I had a model of a saute pan that once I added a custom Tiano inspired texture to the silicone handles, the solidworks part file jumped to 6 gig. Even my top shelf Boxx Cadstation was hurting.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 05-02-2016 at 10:36 PM.

What about airbrushing translucent pearls, either automotive or RC model paint? Some translucent sunburst tiped with a translucent sapphire should give the heat stained titanium look quite well.

Nice desgin, elegant lines. I'd make it a bit longer to get two hands on it though. Awesome pommel design!

@ FenixFire Yep I'm a machnist.(only level 2; no jobs available right now ) But self taught inventor user, I got it for a few years from school. Since I'm self taught I only messed around with what needed to be messed with. Orthographic worked fine for me so I left it at that. I had to figure out how to change to perspective again, and it looked strange to me, I couldn't comprehend working in it at that moment, so that's why I said it "hurts". haha But I'm sure with time I could get used to it, but only if I saw a use for it. :P I've never done hand drawings either except for a little in drafting, I wish I was a better artist. lol But enough of this stuff, saber time!

@ Quixotic Jedi Thanks man! I like elegant, good word. Thanks I love the pommel too! I'll talk more about it soon. Considering the length: I know! I did some base measuring when I first designed it so both hands still fit nicely on it but I do wish I made it 1/2" - 1" longer so I could do more of a katana swing to it. But even at this length I still get good leverage for two handed power. But it's shortness allows me to one hand easily. It transitions from a broadsword to Katana feel decently well. It grips well and is quite effective in sparring. It'll be a good balance for if/when I make a second saber to serve as a wakizashi.
    Last edited by im2fst4u; 05-04-2016 at 08:05 PM.

Here's some early machining shots

Machined to outside diameter. (btw i used aluminum for everything)

Bored through and cutoff. The cutoff will later be used for the pommel.

Doing this all manually machined. Using this lathe and a mill. Good ol' friend was helping me stay fresh in my machining during this time, while teaching me new stuff and of course use his equipment in his little shop. Doing some internal boring here.

And there's the shoulder for the LED heatsink to sit on.

And here's the start of the emitter. This goes in....

Here!

Showing the LED assembly inserted into the emitter, it sinks down fully to the shoulder.

LED inside the hilt with the emitter on top. Yes that is a RBG LED.

And finally what it looked like after this stage.

Last edited by im2fst4u; 05-04-2016 at 08:40 PM.