Thread: Placing the Heat Sink

Default Placing the Heat Sink

I have MHS Hilt, a MHS choke style 1, and <sigh> a US emitter. Please don't pound me for that move. It born out of desperation to complete my saber. <another sigh>

Obviously, the heat sink won't fit into the emitter, but it will fit between the hilt and the choke. In this position, there is roughly 2.5" between the LEDs and the bottom of the emitter.

Would this placement cause lighting concerns/issues, or is it okay to place the heat sink in that location?

Thanks in advance for the help and for not beating me up too bad for poor purchase decisions. <final sigh>

Honestly, I have no idea. It might work. If you can get it installed there without modifying parts, I'd say give it a shot. You can always get a TCSS emitter when they come back in stock and swap it out.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

It will definitely fit, I'm just not sure about it being farther away from the blade than if it were placed directly in the emitter.

The alternative (or at least until blade holders are back in stock), is to stay to Dremel out the inner bore of the emitter to get the heat sink sleeve to slide in... But I'm not sure that would even work.

Is the heat sink to large in diameter? Or too long? Or both?
    Could you mount it (using a rubber stopper and bolt) to a drill?
    Spin it and use some sand paper to make it smaller?
    If it isn't way to big you could gain some space to make it fit.
    It would be easy with a lathe..... : )

It is too large in diameter, by maybe a few mm....

Could just run the blade all the way down the choke until it hits the heatsink. You might also want some clocking washers to prevent LED rattle without the blade, since the choke's 0.1" too short to lock the unit in place. I wound up machining my own from 0.090" aluminum since I was locking a heatsink in place with a double-male adapter for a similar situation.

Doh! I had totally missed that gap between the heat sink and the choke! I just double checked and it does rattle a bit.

I just checked those clocking washers and it looks like I may need the size 1, though not sure how many... Looks like 8 or 9 of them....

You could also take your parts to A good hardware store and try to find a rubber o-ring that will fit.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Just get this heat sink and it should fit inside the emmiter with no modifications - Hold it in place with a set screw.

Or bore our the inside of the emmiter (LED end, not blade end) til the regular heatsink fits. that would work too. What would not work is grinding down the LED Module to fit in the emmiter, there is not enough material on the sides, you'd probably just end up cutting through it.