Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LED + Replica Graflex

Council Member
    Sith Lord

i'm also having trouble finding parts for the actual clamp, though i'll keep looking
    try graflexshop for the clamp parts.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul
    i'm also having trouble finding parts for the actual clamp, though i'll keep looking
    try graflexshop for the clamp parts.
    Why? they have none of that. "king of parts" on ebay usually has some.

Just little tidbits now... Yes, tow pieces is correct for the ears. It's bent to keep them in tension with each other.

The Graflex is slightly larger than an MHS and less than a sinktube so I'd say Jonitus is correct.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

hmm, i saw some links on the net saying that one guy "Gavidoc" had perfect instructions for making the clamp, but none of the links work for this... does anyone have a copy of the instructions or anything? hrm...

Quote Originally Posted by petriomelony
    mkay, thanks to everyone for the replies especially for the diameter measurement, and pictures, those are super.

LAN, did you use the graflica technique for the midband? i guess i have to be careful when reshaping the cut piece of tube to make sure it stays nice and round... i'm also having trouble finding parts for the actual clamp, though i'll keep looking (i guess the hardware stores feel that we Canadians don't need as many hardware supplies as Americans :P)

and you said you made the ears and ring in one piece... the site has the ears separate, right? was it a lot harder to shape the thing properly with it all together? (i presume you still made the smaller middle bits separate from the large ring)

Oh, and that reminds me... I was looking for 1.5" diameter solder-type extension tube (where most of the tube is 1.5" and then the end has about an inch and a bit designed to have another 1.5" OD tube inserted into it) and was thinking of using a couple of those larger bits for the midband, cuz then i wouldn't need to do reshaping and such cuz it's meant to fit around. except it's kinda difficult... i scoured quite a few brooklyn plumbing stores when i was in the area, and i came up with one that fit the specs i needed... most of them were raw brass or 1.25" or slipjoint

and thank you for the clarification about the placement of the emitter, jj... i thought that the blade holder was gonna stick out and look like the ring part, but now i see what it actually is like... do you think that the Graflica technique of making the ring/ears would work for my purposes? it looks alright to me at the moment, but maybe not.

oh, and the rubber sleeve is to create space between... the blade and the metal ring? or the metal ring and the emitter? or what? i wasn't so clear on that part of the post.

thanks again, everyone (and sorry about my constant questioning/etc)

[edit] Jonitus, with that ID (1.37"), you're *sure* the emitter will fit? I saw a site saying that the ID of a graflex was 1.16 or something o_O but i'm definitely thinking your answer is a little more real at this moment. the other guy's measurements kinda feel like republic credits.

i tried but it was darn hard to make one look right, so i ended up getting a replica clamp from romansempireproductions.com

he has them, and if your doin a ep. 4 obi- hes got all the parts to make a hilt with, not one you can el or led with though.

or try lookin on ebay for clamps, youd be alot better off gettin one than tryin to make it, trust me it was difficult to get the bends right, and when it come out, it was slightly warped lookin. so save some greif, buy a replica clamp.

and yes i modded the pattern. the graflica pattern i used had the band in the middle connecting the ears. i had to mod the length till it come out right. but yes, i ciut it out as one entire piece of sheet metal, then using a round object pulled it around it causing it to curve a lil at a time till it was almost a circle. then bent the ears up at a 90 degree at the right spots, finished the curving to get the band right.

then just bent the lil tabs over on each ear. drilled the holes throu them.

then you just squeeze then together shove it up thro the h hole. align and stick a rivot or whatever through there and the tubes holes. and you just made a full band and ears in one piece.

i know what hes sayin on the blade holder and rubber thing. but on real graflex, there is no rubber ring there, its actually a piece of steel.

look at a real graflex ears section. one ear has this spring like piece curving round, and the other has that wide piece with edges bent over sides slightly. when together, you squeeze the ears, and the wide piece pushes out against the spring piece.

thats a real one. on mine i sunk the holder down in the emiiter end far enough and i drilled the center out of a real graflex end core piece. my blade holder butts up on inside against this real drilled out core part. so when blade is in, and turned on, you see the blade light up through the glass eye. cool lookin effect. but this was with a EL setup.

on my led real graflex i left the holder flush with the bottom edge of the S curve. the ears are free swinging.

i put blade in by squeezing the ears, sliding blade through the ring, down into the blade holder and let go, then tighten my blade tension bolt.

works great for me.

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith
    SL 6208 501st legion & SLD
    TK-6208

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side.......
    Proud member of the FSM!!

I've got one of Tim's Graflex LED holders for a Graflex I got as a gift from a loyal customer of mine and it fits kind of sloppy in the Graflex. By measuring, the wall thickness of the Graflex I have is right around 0.035.

Looking at onlinemetals.com, the closest thing that would maybe fit decent would be the 1.5" OD, 0.049" wall stuff.

You could always ask Tim for the specific measurement of the Graflex LED holder to make sure you buy the right material to base your replica upon. I would recommend it, in fact.

When I recommended the 0.065" wall stuff, I may have been thinking about fitting the Anakin MR emitter to a tube.

Check with Tim.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If your graflex was vintage it probably had more corrosion. Mine fit perfectly.
    RED LEADER Standing by!