Thread: Smart charger question.

Default Smart charger question.

Ok, this is going to be the dumbest question ever, and I feel like a fool for asking it, but here we go: how do these smart chargers work?

For the longest time, I have had only the multi-voltage li-ion charger. I plug in a saber to charge it, the light turns red while charging, then turns green when done.

I bought three of these smart chargers, one for taking on the road to troops, and one for each of my kids. I took a saber, played with it a while, then plugged it in to the smart charger and the light goes green and stays green from the first second. I expected it to maybe go red at first and then green when finished charging, but it is green the whole time.

I tried all three chargers on several different sabers and they all behave the same: just green the whole time, so I am convinced it is not a problem with the chargers or the sabers (they charge like normal with the older charger) so it must be me not understanding what the charger is doing. I looked at the store description and all it says is the charger will turn green and shut off when done.

What am I doing wrong with these chargers?

Mine turns red until the sabers are full, and then turn green.

I was wary about this 2 months ago when I read it. Bought one anyway for a saber I'm giving my cousin's kid for her birthday. Decided to test it. Plugged it in on the main hilt of her saber (which I charged 2 months ago when I waiting for parts) and just green. Ok, probably charged already. Tried 2 of my kids sabers that I didn't know the level of charge on. Both just stayed green. Tried the one last 3.7v saber I had and it started as red. So I guess maybe the level of "charged" that it recognizes may be a bit lower than the older multiple voltage chargers? That was 5 mins ago and its still showing red so no more worries for me. Just figured I'd throw that out there since this thread only went to 1 response and someone might search the question again someday.

Well, I say that. It was on for probably an hour and still showing red. I unplugged the jack and put it back in, then it showed green. I plugged the jack in and then plugged it into the wall already connected and it showed green. Who knows honestly. I guess its a wait and see.

For Chicago.Jedi: The store actually sells two different version of the single voltage smart charger. One for 3.7v single cell packs and one for 7.4v dual cell packs. make sure yours in not a single cell charger trying to charge a dual cell pack. It will almost never be low enough to make the charger turn red.

I know this is an old post and it's probably too late to help you, but there was no real answers in this thread Thought the info would be good for future forum searchers.

MTFBWY.
    Last edited by DarthFender; 06-18-2016 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Typo
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

Are you guys talking about this charger: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/37...plug-P890.aspx ? It will take longer than an hour to fully charge an 18650 as it's output is only 500mA. and both 18650's in the store are 2600mAh or 3400mAh capacity's. As for why it's turning green after unplugging it and plugging it back in, I have no advice, since I don't use that particular charger, other than what DarthFender suggested. (That wouldn't apply to Darth Nater, of course.)

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.