Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is their a way to reduce the sound of the pvc smashing against eachother in a duel?

Default Is their a way to reduce the sound of the pvc smashing against eachother in a duel?

Maybe some kind of coating to reduce the clicking sound? A rubber coating?

I slid foam pool noodles over the blades of some of my kids' sabers. Those particular sabers aren't illuminated, but they're a lot quieter.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Figure out how to make an actual Plasma Arc blade and problem solved.

If you want it clear so it can me illuminated then NO there is not a coating to take the plastic on plastic sound out of two pieces of plastic impacting.

Rubber coatings will just deaden the sound to more of a "thud" but would require about a 1/16 of an inch coating. I guess you could try the clear version of FlexSeal, but it will only lower the pitch of the impact.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 04-28-2016 at 08:18 AM.

What about this? Its translucent, so light should pass through it.

http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/silic...anslucent.html

How are you going to fasten it to the blade? Silicone only bonds to silicone, so either fasteners or 100% silicone adhesive are your options.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    I slid foam pool noodles over the blades of some of my kids' sabers. Those particular sabers aren't illuminated, but they're a lot quieter.
    Great idea SS safer for kids too. I once was at an event and let some kids play with some sabers and quickly realized small kids have no fear and all went Leroy Jenkins on each other. I had a near anxiety attack and envisioned gouged eyes, concussions, and paint ball bruises from thrusts. Parents thought it was funny but I guess they don't know how much a Poly carb tube to the head HURTS. After about 30 seconds I had to tell them to take it down about 10 notches or game over. Next time i'll bring some pool noodles.

Would that work though? Has anyone ever tried to reduce the noise?

I have not heard or seen anyone. Is it really worth the $151 for the 36" long sheet? And then how to attach it in a way it won't simply fly off on the first impact. Silicone is not a forgiving material to work with, because it is thermal set material and basically inert to all solvents and adhesives.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 04-29-2016 at 10:27 PM.

Methods to reduce the clacking noise have been talked about in the past, this is not a new subject. There is a topic around here somewhere that deals with it, and covers what people have tried and what worked best.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.