Ebay is full of LED filaments nowadays.
Has anybody tried building a blade out of them? It should be possible to get about 25 of those in a blade, which means about 3000 lumens.
Unfortunately they require 50-60 volts, so it will definitely need some boost converters, and could possibly get a bit hot since the battery and voltage booster will have to put out 25 watts of power. Still, a good booster can be ~90 efficient, so we'd only put out 2.5W of heat in the booster.

I was thinking of designing a 12" by ~1/2" circuit board for holding the led filaments, then put as many as those as I need together. The power draw on the 60 volt side is only 0.35A, so it doesn't need any bulky cables. (Power draw on the battery would be around 5A though, assuming a 7.3-volt battery pack.)

I've ordered some LED filaments, and I found a boost converter that might be powerful enough (if it doesn't overheat) I'll post pictures and stuff here as I go.
If anybody has recommendations efficient boster ICs/circuit designs, that would be cool. I can build my own circuit boards, but I'm not terribly experienced at it.

In the meantime I'll be reading up on how to construct the rest of the blade and diffuser.

/Profezzorn (1st post)