Thread: Preferred blade length

Default Preferred blade length

What is your preferred blade length? 32"? 35"? 37"?

Depends on the height of the wielder. My wife is 6' and can wield a full 40" blade without difficulty. I prefer to cut my personal blades down a few inches.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

The blade I'm buying is 37". I'll try that out and cut it down a bit if needed. Yea, I'm more "Yoda-esque" in height 5' 2".

I read or heard somewhere, can't recall exactly, that the blade tip should be barely above the ground/floor when you are comfortablity holding your hilt at your arm's natural rest postition, ie straight down from your shoulder, hilt at a slight downward angle. Of course everyone's preference is going to be different. I find that for me a 34" blade ( total length, not as measured extending from the emitter ) gives me the perfect blade length for my 6' height.

I'm 5'10 32 works perfect for me. For fast and flurish stlye moves

Thanks! Appreciate the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic Jedi View Post
    I read or heard somewhere, can't recall exactly, that the blade tip should be barely above the ground/floor when you are comfortablity holding your hilt at your arm's natural rest postition, ie straight down from your shoulder, hilt at a slight downward angle. Of course everyone's preference is going to be different. I find that for me a 34" blade ( total length, not as measured extending from the emitter ) gives me the perfect blade length for my 6' height.
    Yeah the idea with real swords is that if one lets one's sword arm free-swing like a pendulum the blade should not hit the ground since that could break a blade. Due to individual physiology that varies [some people have long arms and short legs, others vice versa] so everyone needs to test that for themselves cuz who wants to break our blades eh?

Canonically it wouldn't matter so much with a real lightsaber since their blades are self-renewing not breakable which explains why on-screen blade lengths are a meter or more; the only risk of a long lightsaber blade would be scorching/scarring the ground, well except in a starship maybe where long blades cutting through the floor might not be a great idea. Another reason for shotos eh?

Ha, thanks for further info!