Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Help I may have destroyed my led or battery

Default Need Help I may have destroyed my led or battery

Ok so I wired all my stuff last week an was waiting for some questions to be answered before I tried to turn anything on because I didn't want to destroy my stuff. I Never got any answers at all so yesterday after a week of waiting I said screw it, I knew better this happens with every thing I do then someone will show up an say hey you should have just done this; motorcycle, guitar, painting, game system hack, sculpting,3d model, ect. The only thing that I can see work is my momentary to latching converter because a light comes on to show you when their is power. My battery never read fully charged after over 12 hours on charger all supervised, I just kept bringing the charger to where I was hanging out, I only unplugged it one time in 10 hours. I tried innumerous set ups to test my led wiring but they never turned on when I first connected my momentary switch I plugged in the accent led by mistake an it was very dull, I had not wired a resistor to it yet as I was only planning on using the switch function to establish if my leds were correctly wired. I have sense added a 20omh dynaohm resistor to the positive on the accent led with the power going through the positive side of the resistor from the battery side an out the negative of the resistor to the switch. Now the accent led does not light?

Questions
    Can I test my LEDS with a multi meter to see if I somehow damaged them while soldering? how?>

Would my LEDs appear damaged If they were damaged?

Could my battery have damaged itself charging? it is pcb protected.

Can I test my battery with a multimeter? How?

Please help I am beyond disappointed with life at this point this was my stuff to do to keep from being idle an I have no more money to spend on stuff, too many bills. I don't watch tv an I have to stay home and inside while workers do work so I can't leave. I was going to get the basic setup working then try an expand upon it.
    ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

FYI I have literaly read on the subject over 70 + hours I am a visual learner I learn by watching things get done at a stupidly high rate almost instantly. I don't normally read to do things because I am beyond a slow reader. My sister can read a book in 3 hours it takes me over a week I have to read very, very slow to understand something sometimes 3 times or more to comprehend. I learn martial arts an guitar without effort but all in person. Like on guitar you can play whatever and I can just watch you play it one time and then play it Unless its the highest quality guitar available, then I need to warm up an practice. I have done a fair amount of wiring before this but all the things I have wired I did with a proper diagram with identical items only. It is very hard to find a diagram with the exact same setup I have, I have seen over 15 diagrams an none of them have a momentary to latching converter, av switch, with a buckpuck, running off a 7.4 18650 battery.

I have absolutely nothing to look forward to so I will be anxiestly awaiting any replie Thanks for helping

A picture of your wiring would be most helpful.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Keep in mind that I am using all jst connectors so I can just undo anything without issue. I have tried multiple things but I'm winging it cause I wasn't fortunate enough to find the same setup anywhere. I fear my battery or my leds are wrecked. also Please assume all wiring is going positive to positive and negative to negative. Sorry if my diagram is crumby I have no real experience drawing one

IMG_3476.jpg

I tried this way too, but my switch isn't marked positive or negative so It's confusing.

IMG_3474.jpg

here is my led worst solder job I have ever done. My solder at one point would just not re melt so it got crazy. also I scratched lightly with a knife to make sure solder was separate. I really feel like my battery isn't putting ot power correctly but I have no clue.

IMG_3525.jpg

I really hope my leds didn't get burned out by solder iron being in close proximity. They visually appear un effected as in they look like they did when I started. I have a lot of concern in regards to my battery as well as it never got the green light.

Thanks a billion
    Last edited by MYSTICJIN; 04-14-2016 at 01:10 PM. Reason: added photo

If you have an extra jst connector wire it up with two small sections of wire and use a multi-meter to: (Connect the connector to the corresponding jst and touch the multi-meter to the wires. If posible use a helping hands clamp to hold the +/- wires apart to avoid any chance of a short.)

1. See if the battery is putting out the correct voltage.
    2. See if the puck is putting out current.

I presume the accent LED is blown, 7.4 v is way too high for a 3.x v 20mA LED to survive. Did you connect the main LEDs directly to the battery? If so they are most likely also toast. If only through the puck then there may be hope for them.

The accent led didn't shut off till I unplugged it is my wiring correct on my accent led? They don't have them at the store in the size I own anymore and I feel like my battery didn't put out the volts it should. On my main leds I have only connected them through a puck one at a time no red. Or I connected a blue without puck with 3.9 5 watt resistor or red with 7.8 5watt. would the leds do anything at all if blown they have never responded to anything I have done in any way shape or form.

I must say my accent was only connected where the switch activation would be connected If that makes a difference, I wasn't sure which set was which an I was just trying to connect switch only but plugged in wrong wires. I am very tempted to plug them back in the way they were minus resistor an see if they light up again on the basis that they never did anything to shut off I just unplugged them. then I wired on the resistor possibly backwards?
    Last edited by MYSTICJIN; 04-14-2016 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typo

Hate to ask but I just bought this multi meter how would I checked for the correct voltage I was thinking acv 200 setting. The proper voltage out is 7.4 correct? it read 15 hv? What setting should I use? I am unfamiliar with checking current any advice? I have done a decent amount of wireing before but it was all super easy to do just a to b type stuff. For example I did a guitar with three knobs, an three pickups, three way switch, an an input jack. I have done this 5 times an it has always just worked, I used a diagram an that was that.

Silly question do most of the people on here doing this have an electrical background like a technical school I'm starting to think this is beyond comprehension to someone who only follows blueprints on electricity unless I were to buy the same setup as someone else.

ACV would be AC Voltage.

You'll want the DCV or if it has the universal icon it will have a solid line over a dashed line with a V under it. If you have a range setting reading the batteries seams to work best with the XX.XX V range.

I attached an image of the model I have that has the settings called out, I am no expert at electronics and the multi-meter is a hand-me-down from my little brother who is a master electrician specializing in high speed data installation primarily 5G cell tower installation. 575px-Multimeter.jpg

dessipointed tried to beat you back I figured it out but, def could use the extra info provided on the multi meter. so my battery if I touch the jst connectors positive an negative in this set up

IMG_3533.jpg

it read 15.2???

Ok same setup on the multimeter and my led out from puck seems to be powerless with latching setup. Sorry it took so long hadta rig up a jst?

Also is it ok to leave my battery connected while I switch stuff around? I have constantly been disconnecting every time to redo stuff an It doesn't come apart easy so if not let me know so I can stop lol. I feel like I have connected an disconnected this thing 20 times or something.

With my multimeter screw me I just re read an noticed I used ac not dcv sorry I will be back with correct readout.

But does the current things I stated dictate my puck isn't putting current out?

Ok with dc 200 my battery read 7.2-7.4 the same reading on the other side of my buckpuck 7.2. But when I connect my blue or green led on the other end of puck an test the connections it gets00.08????? Why so low on wires? I used silver solder from radio shack.

Real question can you blow all three leds by connecting one?
    Shouldn't my buck puck of stopped any kind of overload?
    I never tested my leds when I got them till now is it possible the board on them didn't work?
    Have you ever heard of blowing them by having solder iron to close, even if it never touched them?
    Why does my read out on the led wires say .08 but if I connect a normal wire it reads 7.4, does the puck only regulate if the other end is connected? Is my buckpuck overregulating?
    Is 00.08 way to low to notice anything on an led an my leds are fine?

Is this the proper wiring for my Led or is it set up positive to the left of the Led and negative to the right of Led?
    I'm hoping this is what's wrong, if so no biggy I have jst connectors on their and I know how to swap them around without unwiring them.

IMG_3525 edit.jpg
    Last edited by MYSTICJIN; 04-14-2016 at 04:36 PM. Reason: added photo