Thread: RGB vs Custom TRI Cree LED

Default RGB vs Custom TRI Cree LED

Is an RGB or a Tri Cree better for flash on clash?

Which would be brighter and/or fuller?

I'm planning on color mixing to get a amethyst or even into indigo blade that flashes magenta/red.

RGB just means a Red/Green/Blue LED. You can get Tri-Crees in an RGB setup. The Cree LEDs are currently the best and brightest LEDs available at TCSS.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I'm actually just finishing up an indigo bladed saber myself. For my build (running off of a 3.7v 18650 Li-Ion from the shop) I used a R/rB/W tri-Cree. I run the rB with a 0.5ohm resistor and ended up resistor-ing the heck out of the Red (34.2ohms). I use the white (with another 0.5ohm resistor) for FoC which gives me a pale lavender color for the flash.

If I were to try to make the flash magenta instead I would probably get a R/R/rB instead though and hook the rB and 1 of the Reds up like I have them now and then run the second red at full (safe) voltage (for my build a 1.5-2ohm resistor would likely suffice) for the flash.

The advantage of a R/G/B is you can mix a lot more colors (like yellows and greens), I'm thinking mixing green FoC with an indigo blade would probably give you some sort of cyan-ish flash (since that's what you get with G and B -your red will be resistor-ed down so much it probably won't show through much during the FoC). If you're very set on an indigo (or similar) with magenta flash either a R/R/rB or a R/R/B may be more like what you want.

-Of course be sure to do your own calculations for what minimum resistors your particular build will need to protect your leds.
    Last edited by Jamonk Arturan; 04-28-2016 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McClane View Post
    Is an RGB or a Tri Cree better for flash on clash?

Which would be brighter and/or fuller?

I'm planning on color mixing to get a amethyst or even into indigo blade that flashes magenta/red.
    I was specifically referring to the single dome RGB LED like this one http://www.ledsupply.com/leds/cree-m...high-power-led

My bad for not being clear

looking at the spec sheet its not nearly as bright as the TCSS. I see what you are thinking with the single dome but it just won't be as bright. Also runs at 700ma

Quote Originally Posted by snilam View Post
    looking at the spec sheet its not nearly as bright as the TCSS. I see what you are thinking with the single dome but it just won't be as bright. Also runs at 700ma
    That was just a quick search example. Not one that i intended to uses. But you get the idea.

I think a TRI Cree will be better no matter what.

Basically, are you married to one color for your lightsaber or do you want to change it from time to time? If you want to change your saber color, get an R/G/B. If you want a specific color for your saber and you don't see yourself ever wanting another color, get a custom tri-cree. It also depends on what soundcard you're using, as some support color changing and some don't.

The colors will be permanent. If I ever want to change I'll build another LED module.
    Likely be going with the Nano Biscotte for the first build.