Thread: Purple blade with Custom Tri_Cree

Default Purple blade with Custom Tri_Cree

Hello all,

I managed to burn out the red die on a Custom tri-cree. Dumb, dumb, mistake i wont make again

anyway, my thought was to get a tri-cree with red, Blue, and white dies. was hoping the red and blue would make the purple, with the white adding extra brightness.

Wondering if blue/blue/red would work better, or blue/royalblue/red ?

Has anyone done a setup like this? am i just not understanding my color theory?

thanks again!
    The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.

Did the same thing. Bought a R/rB/W Tri-Cree for my Ascend for a purple blade and the white wired to an auxiliary switch for a pseudo FoC effect. Blew the red and blue while testing. Rocked the white while I waited for a new LED. As far as your questions go, I haven't really seen anyone wire up 3 LEDs at once so someone else will have to chime in for that. But the white will wash out the other colors. As far a purple blade the Royal Blues and Reds make nice purple, just have to find the "right" resistor combo.

Red + Blue = Magenta (lavender, pastel-purple)
    Red + Blue + White = even lighter Magenta (pink)
    Red + Royal Blue = deeper Magenta (closer to purple)

You need to play with resistors (always greater ohms and watts than the minimum values for that LED with your battery) to get just the right mix. Generally speaking, the more red in the mix, the pinker the purple. Conversely, the more blue in the mix the less "bright" the saber.

Quote Originally Posted by Mineral View Post
    Red + Blue = Magenta (lavender, pastel-purple)
    Red + Blue + White = even lighter Magenta (pink)
    Red + Royal Blue = deeper Magenta (closer to purple)

You need to play with resistors (always greater ohms and watts than the minimum values for that LED with your battery) to get just the right mix. Generally speaking, the more red in the mix, the pinker the purple. Conversely, the more blue in the mix the less "bright" the saber.
    You will need to run the blue at the full mA and then resistor the R down. You could try the rB+rB=R but will obviously loose the FoC if using the NB. For the Rebel, with the red at 700 and the blue at 1000 it made a bright white with a slightly pink sheen.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 04-13-2016 at 06:33 AM.

ended up ordering a Red / Blue / Royal Blue. Guess we'll see what happens!
    The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.

Interested in seeing your progress!

I've had some woes with trying to make purple and burning out red LEDs in the process. If you're making a stunt saber (no sound), I would suggest rB/rB/R. If you're making a saber w/sound I would recommend rB/R/W, and add an extra resistor to the red to dial down its color, probably 2.7ohm.

Post pics of your build, especially the wiring.