Thread: How to hollow???????

Default How to hollow???????

Hello guys
    I have acquired a solid aluminum hilt that I love and want to hollow it out for electronics blade etc. is there a way to do this? can it be done? if so what are the basic diameters to a hilt inside? Does any one know where to go to have this done? A machine shop?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Depends on the outer diameter of the hilt but I would think you would need a lathe. I would look around your area for local machine shops and give them a call. The MHS parts are like 1.25" ID I believe. I'm no expert so one of the senior members might be able to give more insight.

yea then the emitter head would have to be an inch to hold the blade I think

Yeah, the emitter end would need to be a few thousands over 1" (depends on the fit you want) and the rest of the interior should be 1.25" If you plan on using the TCSS chassis disks. Easiest way to bore out the center would be on a lathe, the problem comes when you figure that one end would be wide open from the bore (1.25"). If you know of a good machine shop they may even be able to make a chassis that would slide into this and hold the led/electronics/battery and plug the open end, or a plug for the open end.

If you cant find a shop to make a chassis for you and need to use the MHS heatsink module your inside diameter will need to be a bit wider for about 5/8". I haven't taken exact measurements but I believe the OD of the module is something like 1 1/8" for 5/8" and then the OD of the lip should be 1 1/4" (1.25") just like the rest of the ID on MHS parts.

Nice looking hilt, I can see why you would want to hollow it out.

something that long will probably cost some money to bore out..

most boring bars are NOT that long... with REALLY long ones costing A LOT.. (plus a nice, beefy machine to use it with)

top side.. would need 1" ID bore to hold a blade, as mentioned, the body would be 1.25" ID..

but then what? If its all one piece... it will be very difficult to wire up. (thoughts about switches?)

what about the pommel (end cap?) how will that be secured? (no lip for a pommel cap to fit inside of.. and all one piece, so they cant bore it that way)

As far as internals, like Phoenix said, you could have a custom chassis built. Mount and wire everything to the chassis, then slide it into the hilt and secure it with a set screw or two.