Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why LCD Backlighting Won't Work for a Black Blade

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Its a 1/2" flat Optics Quality Cast Acrylic sheet cut and carved to shape. AKA. Ripper Blade. Top grade cast acrylic will only allow light to exit where the surface is disrupted or there is an impurity in resin. Photograph it in a dark room with a black satin cloth as the background and you get this effect. Since it is acrylic, it is a show blade only. you can get it in PC but the light piping will not be as good. In real world lighting the center will show slight lighting, but it will give a convincing effect. Figure out a rectangular hilt and custom mount some CREE SMD dice on a rectangular board/heat-sink you could have a nice black saber show piece.

The one shown in the image is a raw ripper blade, minus the after purchase finishing mentioned in my earlier post. There are even better examples on Halo forum where people have used the same techniques for Energy Sword props.

Here is the larger image:

[IMG]<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="ZgblMHV"><a href="//imgur.com/ZgblMHV">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/IMG]
    (Sorry bout crappy quality btw)

The text actually says that this is made with "LCD polarizing film" wrapped around the blade.

Here's a link to Turgon's original thread: http://imperialroyalarms.com/thread/...nomenon?page=3
    Last edited by TheSilverDark; 05-02-2016 at 01:27 PM.
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverDark View Post
    (Sorry bout crappy quality btw)

The text actually says that this is made with "LCD polarizing film" wrapped around the blade.

Here's a link to Turgon's original thread: http://imperialroyalarms.com/thread/...nomenon?page=3
    Actually this is what it says:
    "for a dueling blade you have a whit LED and remove the film inside the blade lightly paint it black for a show blade make the blade and paint one side black with a white LED " The later show blade is what he shows in the picture you posted. The previous would block out the light that is transmitted down the tube only allowing the light that pipes down the edge of the blade to be visible.

The Polarizing film is what he shows wrapped around the exterior of the tubes on the post you just linked. If you continue on the saber forum post I believe their is an example where someone took a PC round ripper blade and put the polarizing film on the inside and called it a dark blade or something like that. The polarizing film will work for the effect if you can find a way to protect it with an outer sleeve of PC. Perhaps a wrap a 3/4" PC tube with the film and then insert that into a show blade, assuming it would fit.

I was considering ways to protect it, but I have no intention of ever using one as a dueling blade :P. It was simply an idea I had and wanted to know if people had tried it or heard of it. I eventually stumbled upon that thread so there you go. I may in the future try to make a duel worthy blade but for the time being I just wanted to see what people thought of Turgon's work thus far.
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands