Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: First lightsaber build. Just going to have fun with this one.

Sorry it's been a bit since an update. Went to a music festival this past weekend. Parts parts parts coming along though!

Been trying to think of a cool way to do the AV switch... Because again I'm plagued by not having the correct tap to thread it in... So I'm going to have to make a bezel.

Also started on the end cap. Found some weird copper almost brass sort of stuff in scrap so I'm going to start integrating it in

Also... I'm going to order the blade... What's the difference between the Corbin style blade and the TCSS blade?

She's going to be be blue just FYI

Also open to any suggestions for other blade options if anyone feels like chiming in.

Unless I'm completely mistaken, from the looks of your photo that looks to be a sintered bronze bushing of some kind. Sintered bronze is made from powdered metal formed in a press under hgh pressure, which is fine for bearings and similar parts, but it sucks if you want to machine it. It is also often made with impregnanted oils that help lube the bearings, which will never stop leaching from the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic Jedi View Post
    Unless I'm completely mistaken, from the looks of your photo that looks to be a sintered bronze bushing of some kind. Sintered bronze is made from powdered metal formed in a press under hgh pressure, which is fine for bearings and similar parts, but it sucks if you want to machine it. It is also often made with impregnanted oils that help lube the bearings, which will never stop leaching from the part.
    You are correct sir! It will look the part still... I'm going to age it.

Machined the slots for the button box and button bezel... And the slot for the recharge port....

https://imgur.com/TOG029F

https://imgur.com/2ir5Kki

Blade type is really all about personal preference. If you can, grab extra blade material and experiment. I made three or four before making up my mind. You can grab a complete blade from the shop, clear blade with film, trans white blade with film, trans white thick walled with no film, trans white sanded. There are definitely options. I use 30" (or shorter) trans white thin walled blades with 3-6 feet of film wrapped inside and hot glued into place. The trans white looks more like a "full" blade to me and the film inside gives it the "core" look. I followed Jay-Gon Jinn's tutorial over in the "LED Blade Discussion" section.
    Fantastic looking saber, by the way! Definitely jealous of the access to the machines!

I am enjoying your progress with this project!

That switch box combo is killer

That's incredible. Amazing work for your first saber. Of course, you have vast experience. Kudos on having the ability and talent to see your dream to physical reality!