Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: First lightsaber build. Just going to have fun with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    For the two designers under me and my self it was going to be close to $4,000 in training just to use them as our model and RP shop since we were going to be co-located.
    Wow I didn't realize how lucky I am to get to use my college machines for free haha. I cant believe no one else at my school takes advantage of this. Those things are EXPENSIVE.

The main thing is having a place to put a machine of the sizes of a lathe or mill... They really aren't that expensive for used ones. But transporting and housing a big ass mill or lathe... thats another thing entirely. And as far as training.... basic shop etiquette and safety combined with a good teacher is really all you need. Especially if you're really only dealing with aluminium and other soft metals. I have no formal milling and machining training. I just learn from the experienced machinists in the SFX shop and ask questions when I'm unsure of something. But this is to say of course if you are not COMPLETELY comfortable around dangerous heavy machinery and COMPLETELY confident that you wont forget something crucial then yes... id go for the paid training.

Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    The main thing is having a place to put a machine of the sizes of a lathe or mill... They really aren't that expensive for used ones. But transporting and housing a big ass mill or lathe... thats another thing entirely. And as far as training.... basic shop etiquette and safety combined with a good teacher is really all you need. Especially if you're really only dealing with aluminium and other soft metals. I have no formal milling and machining training. I just learn from the experienced machinists in the SFX shop and ask questions when I'm unsure of something. But this is to say of course if you are not COMPLETELY comfortable around dangerous heavy machinery and COMPLETELY confident that you wont forget something crucial then yes... id go for the paid training.
    It is easy to pick up, just liability reasons TS requires the training before using their equipment. We already had most of the equipment at our old facility, but the building was being demolished and the firm was relocating to an innovation corridor with without an adiquate space for the model shop...initially told the TS membership would be rolled into the rent, then suddenlyonce done consulting on the equipment and facility layout it was not. Now most of the firms old equipment is either in my garage or my parents machine shed (40'x120' antique tractor restoration shop) 2 hours a way.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 03-30-2016 at 08:08 PM.

Nice work so far, looking forward to were it goes. Will you be working in the Magpul grips?��

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    It is easy to pick up, just liability reasons TS requires the training before using their equipment. We already had most of the equipment at our old facility, but the building was being demolished and the firm was relocating to an innovation corridor with without an adiquate space for the model shop...initially told the TS membership would be rolled into the rent, then suddenly it was not. Now most of the equipment is either in my garage or my parents machine shed...2 hours a way.
    Bummer dude!! Nothing worse than having it but not being able to use it!

So after much deliberation and "feeling it out" I decided to ditch the shroud design and change it up... I was totally digging it in the drawing but it just didn't feel right in person. So I just went with something that felt more traditional and I'll save the radical designs for later projects. I personally love it and I'm psyched with the changes and seeing it start for flesh out more!! Now I just need to come up with a button bezel and a suitable recharge port location.

Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    ...I decided to ditch the shroud design and change it up... I was totally digging it in the drawing but it just didn't feel right in person.
    I think we've all been there once or twice. I usually make mockups of my shrouds with something inexpensive first, like paper or PVC pipe. Saves me time and money on overlays that just don't look right once they're in your hands.

It's looking good so far! Keep up the good work.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    I think we've all been there once or twice. I usually make mockups of my shrouds with something inexpensive first, like paper or PVC pipe. Saves me time and money on overlays that just don't look right once they're in your hands.

It's looking good so far! Keep up the good work.
    Thanks man! I'm having a blast with it! That's a good call on the cheap mock up... I'll for sure employ that on the next one! Got some more parts in the works today! Pictures coming soon!

I'm jealous of your existence. Any chance they're hiring?? (No, not joking.)

Nice work so far! Great to see the progress images as you worked through it. What colour blade are you planning for? And are you going to paint the hilt too?

Blog Entries

Coming along nicely.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末