Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: First lightsaber build. Just going to have fun with this one.

Sorry for the long delay! Work has been a little crazy and I spent a good bit of time working on the internals and figuring out the electronics... BUT....

SHE IS DONE!!! and i gave her to my little bro for his 21st birthday last night! his face says it all....

right when he opened the box

but ya i also made him a custom box for the saber... It's display stand fits snug in it and foam lined chucks keep it held safely for transporting

detail of the laser engraved lid

And now here's the money

higher res detail images with the display stand and blade in

kill key... i liked the idea of it being sort of like a grenade pin

custom made brass blade retention screw

and i know its not the best picture but this is his face when he fired it up for the first time everyone else in the restaurant was pretty shocked as well lol

And i had to upload a video of it working too

Dude! I LOVE that burn-in look on the emitter! Extremely original and genuine! Very nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by bunger View Post
    Dude! I LOVE that burn-in look on the emitter! Extremely original and genuine! Very nice touch.
    Thanks so much man!! Ya I got some inspiration from our SFX dedicated paint department on gaurdians of the galaxy 2.... Myself and a few others are building the "functional" weapons in the film and have a section of the paint dept. specifically for painting our guns and stuff... anywho... my friend annah started doing this badass "burnout" effect (as she called it) on the tips of all the gun barrels. I was hooked and asked her to show me how she did it and decided right away to incorporate it into the saber.

Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    Thanks so much man!! Ya I got some inspiration from our SFX dedicated paint department on gaurdians of the galaxy 2.... Myself and a few others are building the "functional" weapons in the film and have a section of the paint dept. specifically for painting our guns and stuff... anywho... my friend annah started doing this badass "burnout" effect (as she called it) on the tips of all the gun barrels. I was hooked and asked her to show me how she did it and decided right away to incorporate it into the saber.

That's what I like so much about it! It makes complete sense that the emitter would be a bit charred, but you just never see it. Absolutely fantastic job!

Blog Entries

Nicely done!
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Oh you definitely gotta do a how to on the burnout paint effect (or at least send me a message ), I'm working on a custom machined build and that would be amazing on the inner blade holder...

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix239 View Post
    Oh you definitely gotta do a how to on the burnout paint effect (or at least send me a message ), I'm working on a custom machined build and that would be amazing on the inner blade holder...

Ya totally! I know it's a house of kolor metallic tinting paint of some sort. I'll get the specific name from her as soon as I can... But you mix it with a binder and layer the colors with an airbrush.... I'll do a write up with details soon

Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    Ya totally! I know it's a house of kolor metallic tinting paint of some sort. I'll get the specific name from her as soon as I can... But you mix it with a binder and layer the colors with an airbrush.... I'll do a write up with details soon
    Haven't airbrushed for a few years but you used to be able to get 2 oz color samples from HoC re-sellers for a couple of bucks. It will save spending $20 a pint if you can find it. If you cant find HoC, there are "Anodizing" paints available through RC shops that might do the trick as well.

Cant wait to see the tutorial and learn how others do their effects.