Thread: Crystal Focus Questions regarding "Hack" and Color Extender

Default Crystal Focus Questions regarding "Hack" and Color Extender

Hi everyone,
    I am about to pick up my first Crystal Focus, and I have a couple of questions:

1- is the "Hack" reversible? If I undo the steps of the hack, will the CF go back to being okay with 7.4v battery packs? In my head, it should be just fine... but never hurts to just ask.

2- If I do not put a color Extender with the CF 8, can I use resistors with the on board PEX(s)to use the multiple color channels? Or is that unsafe? I know the manual says "commended with" single pack "hack" But I am wondering if, at least, temporarily will that be okay?

Thanks!

Not sure about the first question, but the reason it's "not recommended" to use the PExs with 7.4V is because you'd need huge resistors to drop the voltage for the LEDs. So there's no risk of damaging anything, but you're losing a lot of hilt space.

Quote Originally Posted by Sohryu76 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I am about to pick up my first Crystal Focus, and I have a couple of questions:

1- is the "Hack" reversible? If I undo the steps of the hack, will the CF go back to being okay with 7.4v battery packs? In my head, it should be just fine... but never hurts to just ask.

2- If I do not put a color Extender with the CF 8, can I use resistors with the on board PEX(s)to use the multiple color channels? Or is that unsafe? I know the manual says "commended with" single pack "hack" But I am wondering if, at least, temporarily will that be okay?

Thanks!
    1. TECHNICALLY yes. However, you would likely need a new "part" to replace the one you remove, because you will likely deform it during removal, and that assumes you can successfully put that part back on (which isn't easy).

2. You can use resistors, BUT they would probably have to be external resistors, due to the size resistors (4W - 5W) you would need to have, if you DON'T do the hack first.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    1. TECHNICALLY yes. However, you would likely need a new "part" to replace the one you remove, because you will likely deform it during removal, and that assumes you can successfully put that part back on (which isn't easy).

2. You can use resistors, BUT they would probably have to be external resistors, due to the size resistors (4W - 5W) you would need to have, if you DON'T do the hack first.
    I'll just get the CEX... and skip something else for now! Or get the CF... and not install it until I get the CEX!

Force Aware
    Force Aware
    Force Aware

I would say wait and go with the CEX and the 7.4v battery option. I'm looking to do a build with the CF8 as well and plan to go that route after studying the manual of the 8 and the 6 & 7.
    Sean

SciFiHero.net Member; SG Operations Home of SG-Socom Member