Thread: Kouri's Graflex 3-Cell - ANH to TFA re-build

Default Kouri's Graflex 3-Cell - ANH to TFA re-build

Managed to get hold of an old replica Graflex flash built up as an ANH Skywalker hilt.

Specs were as follows:

Ultrasound 2.0 Soundboard
    Luxeon 3 Cyan

(x7) Rubber grips
    Icon-style picture-frame d-ring
    ESB-style clamp tape
    Trimmed Bubble Strip

---------------

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding this unit as a TFA Skywalker hilt. Not sure if I'll re-use the chassis or scratch build a new one. Current modifications are:

Replaced LED - One-up Cree Blue

Replaced Grips - Graflex 2.0 ESB grips (modified)

Replaced Card - TCSS Circuit Board (placeholder)

Replaced Clamp - TCSS non-branded Clamp

Replaced D-Ring - Graflex 2.0 Kobold Clip

Here's the first image, taken after I removed the original clamp and swapped in the TCSS clamp and card:

After that, I removed the grips and replaced the dim Lux3 with a single Cree XP-E2 Blue. The LED holder was specifically designed for a Lux3 and matching lens holder, so the Cree LED and lens holder were a bit too short to fit properly. I machined a couple of spacer rings to fill the space between the lens and holder wall to keep everything snug. When it comes time to upgrade to a Tri-Cree setup, I'll be able to drop a 7/8" heatsink into the existing LED socket.

I had a spare set of Graflex 2.0 ESB/TFA grips to use, but I didn't want to drill any new holes into the hilt. I wound up shaving off the alignment pegs in the grips and cutting most of the threads off the 6-32 button-head screws. Screw heads were then glued into the grips and the grips stuck onto the hilt.

Here's a shot of the current crystal chamber off:

And lit up:

I was a bit let down by how haphazardly the sound and d-ring holes were drilled into the pommel:

I wound up machining a pommel cover to hide both the holes and the GRAFLEX branding.

Thankfully, there's still a channel under the Kobold clip for sound to escape through. Still plenty of volume coming out the pommel, though now you wouldn't know the holes were there if you didn't know to peek under the clip.

---------------

To do:

Replace Soundboard (something tri-cree compatible)

Wire in a second switch (also repair the currently mangled Graflex Slide)

Replace blade-holder retention screw (not sure whether or not to go with brass on this 4-40 slotted screw)

Replacing chassis blinking LED with board-powered LED and Crystal

Replace edge connector with TFA-style card.

Not yet sure on the soundboard. Crystal Focus would be a drop-in replacement, but still considering my options.

TFA Edge Connector arrived in the mail last weekend:

Machined and painted my own Graflex Pin blade plug:

And taught myself to make a gif of the current crystal animation:

Other than that, running behind on other builds, so I might just replace the cracked chassis discs and let this one go with the current board.

That crystal chamber is STUNNING! Very well done!

Wish I could take credit for the crystal chamber, but the saber already had it installed when I first got it.

Machined a new stand though - same template as usual, but black acrylic, engraved text, and gold paint:

Also popped the rivet in the slide switch and dropped in a 4-40 socket screw to help hold the blade holder in place. Should hold up to light dueling now.

As far as internals, I've machined a few new acrylic chassis spacers to replaced a couple of the cracked ABS discs. Also sealed the speaker rim to prevent rattle. Sound's gotten deeper and the hilt vibrates a bit now.