Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ANOTHER resistor check!

Default ANOTHER resistor check!

Hello there.

Not much more than another resistor confirmation (or correction...).

Using a Nano Biscotte. 3.7v li-ion battery. Blue Cree XP-E2 LED.

All items are from the store.

I'd like to stick with what is in the store and figured (well, an online resistor calculator did...) that the 1ohm 2w resistor would be my best choice.

Am I missing anything? Any and all help is appreciated.

Cheers!

You're missing that calculators like to round up to the next common resistor value. Try doing the calculation yourself and you might get different results

Thank you for the reply!

Now, I see this answer a lot. I can do that and, if I have to, I certainly will.

Follow up question time though; what is the benefit? What changes might I see with the different method of calculation and, as a result, a possibly different resistor recommendation?

Also, still bearing in mind that I'd like to give my business to the store and, therefore, would be limited to what is available there.

Not starting anything here, just genuinely wanting to know the end result difference between a calculator recommendation and a doing the math myself. Would a slightly different result end up forcing me to look elsewhere for my resistor? The resistor question seems to be so simple but always pops up. I am fine with the metal cutting/bashing/drilling/tapping/hoping for the best side of things. Just trying to figure out the electrical side of it all.

Thanks again!

You need a resistor with a great enough ohm value to protect your LED. Any extra ohms just make the LED dimmer.

Doing the math yourself you would see that the .47 ohm or .5 ohm resistor would work and give a slightly brighter blade.

The online calculators round up to the nearest commonly available resistor with a large margin of error...usually about 60% max. Others if attached to stores ie. digikey rounds up to the nearest in stock resistor.

Quote Originally Posted by Generic Jedi View Post
    You need a resistor with a great enough ohm value to protect your LED. Any extra ohms just make the LED dimmer.
    Ah ha! So, this is why folk here say to not worry too much about the wattage?

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Doing the math yourself you would see that the .47 ohm or .5 ohm resistor would work and give a slightly brighter blade.

The online calculators round up to the nearest commonly available resistor with a large margin of error...usually about 60% max. Others if attached to stores ie. digikey rounds up to the nearest in stock resistor.
    Interesting. So, the .47 or .5 in the store would work fine, despite the higher wattage?

(I am currently reading elsewhere about higher wattage and how this is less important than not over-doing the ohms.)

Again, sorry about rehashing a common question. I am just someone who likes to know the "why" before I jump in too deep.

The wattage is "minimum necessary" to dissipate heat, so you can go over, making heat dissipation less of an issue for your resistor.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

The higher wattage is fine, it just means that the resistor can handle more heat (the current resisted by the resistor is converted into heat). Just remember that a resistor with a larger wattage is physically larger!
    "And into the heart of the storm, with a cry that pierced all other sounds, tearing the clouds asunder, the Nazg?l came, shooting like flaming bolts, as caught in the fiery ruin of hill and sky they crackled, withered, and went out."

Is there a simple list of colors and best resistor values? It seems like the variables are relatively few, so there should be a "right" answer for each color of each brand of LED given a certain power source.

Telling everyone to do their own math is an excellent pedagogical philosophy, but if there's a best resistor for each color of Cree XP-E2 powered by a 3.7V source, it ought to be fairly easy to make a list and post it somewhere to stop the few "resistor check" threads every day.