Thread: Tri RB/G/R vs. Quad RB/G/R/W and Other Questions

Question Tri RB/G/R vs. Quad RB/G/R/W and Other Questions

What would the difference be? Would the addition of White make for a brighter blade or brighter FoC? Planning for the CF when it's in stock (also have the CEx). I'm looking for opinions and options.

Would I want to wire Red as my primary/Channel 1 to regulate that LED at 750mA?

The CEx works on Channel 2 and Channel 3 - Does it matter which color uses a particular Channel?

Would it matter which channel is used for White if I go with a Quad?

Sorry if these have been asked many times before. My search-fu isn't always the greatest. I've been reading these Boards for about 8 months now and reading/re-reading/re-reading and reading again the manual for the CF 7.5 for about 4 months (I'm hoping it will give me a good basis for learning the 8.0 when it comes out).

Thanks in advance,
    MTFBWY

Adding a white die gives you a slightly brighter FoC and allows you to more easily blend colours with white (ie white + blue = silver). Whether you want to add a white die is up to you; usually I just stick with R/G/rB.

With the CFv7/8 + CEx, you get three regulated channels and one non-regulated channel. If you're using an RGBW you can choose which of them you don't want to be regulated. I would choose white as you'll probably use that mostly for FoC.

The CEx technically can work on any channel, even 1 if you wire it up to the right place (although that would be redundant). You can put any colour on any channel.

Ok, maybe I'm just having a little trouble with fully understanding the manual. Page 40 (CF 7.5 manual) has a diagram that only shows 2 channels running through the CEx and page 41 says to run channels 2 &4 through the CEx (channel 3 has a CF 7.5 PEx onboard?). So the CEx really only handles 2 Die? But this allows better color mixing, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Stormtrooper View Post
    Ok, maybe I'm just having a little trouble with fully understanding the manual. Page 40 (CF 7.5 manual) has a diagram that only shows 2 channels running through the CEx and page 41 says to run channels 2 &4 through the CEx (channel 3 has a CF 7.5 PEx onboard?). So the CEx really only handles 2 Die? But this allows better color mixing, correct?
    Correct. The CEX (and CF/PC) ideally was designed to use 3 dice solutions. People were clamoring for the fourth die (I still have no idea why), so this "solution' was conjured up.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    I still have no idea why
    This ^

Although the fourth channel does have another use now with TRIDENT RGB.

Quote Originally Posted by NanoRex View Post
    This ^

Although the fourth channel does have another use now with TRIDENT RGB.
    I'm not familiar with the Trident RGB, what's the difference?

Other than that, I think I got it. Thanks.

The Trident feature is a new addition to Plecter boards that allows you to make sabers like Kylo Ren's saber, with the delayed ignition of the side vents.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    The Trident feature is a new addition to Plecter boards that allows you to make sabers like Kylo Ren's saber, with the delayed ignition of the side vents.
    That explains it. I haven't been interested in making a saber with a crossguard, so I haven't been researching it.

It's not really even in the CFv8 manual yet because the TRIDENT RGB satellite board isn't finished.