Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good idea?

Default Is this a good idea?

So I have a hilt design that can be closely made by CSS parts but not quite:

12804011_10153827982586815_554674983_n.jpgScreen Shot 2016-02-13 at 2.14.51 PM.jpg

Solution: machine my own hilt body parts from raw aluminum.
    Problem: I've never made a saber so I have no idea what the required proportions are (i.e. blade width, battery pack width) or how to wire the electronics. Am I getting ahead of myself (I probably am)?
    My idea: buy the cheapest possible stunt saber from saberforge and cut it open so I can see all the internal proportions and have a complete, prewired setup for the blade and switch. Build my hilt around those proportions and toss the electronics inside when I'm done.

Am I an idiot?
    Ben

If you're end game is a DIY saber than don't bother with SF. Virtually all of what you're looking for (and will end up buying) will be from TCSS so stick with them.

Your design seems pretty straight forward. You could accomplish 90% of your design with MHS parts and save yourself a ton of effort. About the only thing you'll need to machine will the shroud(s).

Pick up a couple of the MHS parts and use those as your basis. MUCH cheaper than your suggested alternative and will guarantee maximum compatibility with everything out there for DIY saber builders.

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard. You can find a lot of dimensions here http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...System-aka-MHS and others by searching the forums or asking after you've searched and haven't found what you're looking for.

You won't get much support here for anything SF.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Thanks! As for purchasing MHS parts, every single part in the MHS photo above is sold out, and has been for months. Is there a way to make sure I'm notified when they become available, or is that more of a check every day and wait kind of thing?

Oh yeah I said saberforge, I meant ultra sabers. Much cheaper, although I'm sure your replies remain just as valid.

On average, how much do full builds like these cost?

Just saw some of your posts. Bravo to your work. Really impressive.

Blog Entries

You can check out the Facebook page. Tim has been updating on stock pretty frequently there. A simple build with an entry level sound board can be done for around $200-300 or so. Maybe a little less. Stunt is obviously cheaper. The MHS builder will give you an estimate on cost for parts you've put together. Then you can peruse the store to get prices for everything else. you can always add things to a wish list and calculate that.

Correct, same for US

EDIT: Your drawing looks like a Yoda. Have you considered starting with one of those, converting and modifying it to get what you want?
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 03-16-2016 at 09:42 AM.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

The store used to have a Notify when in stock feature, but it went away during their last upgrade, and hasn't come back. Some people have reported good luck with Chrome extensions that watch pages for changes. They also report stock updates on Facebook.

This saber was close to $500.

I'm guessing building a crystal chamber is something for later down the line, after I figured out how to make a basic saber? I don't even see many MHS parts for exposing the inside, only the 3 double male extensions with slots. Probably gonna save that for later.

Especially if my current design would cost $500. Jesus...

The concept behind my saber design is that on a scale from Kylo Ren wires exposed, unstable blade to Palpatine's silver/gold expensive regal masterpiece, it's a Luke Skywalker built in a cave, limited resources, repurposed scrap metal. The worn silver part on the right side of the fore grip is meant to be a patch that covers a hole because the gear style part with the square red switch and the smooth black part with the kill key don't perfectly match up together (obviously the MHS parts would, but this is lore). Kind of like if you patched up a hole in your jeans with denim that didn't match. There's a similar patch on the opposite side.
    Last edited by TheForce; 03-16-2016 at 10:01 AM.

As for machining parts to make it fit my design, I'm guessing the MHS Blank Holder Style 3 would be what I want?
    I incorporated a blade retention screw in the design of the emitter. Is that something typically machined in?
    As for switches, does one usually drip into the extensions for switch/kill key placement, or is it best to just buy a body? How necessary is a kill key?

As for the grip, I was thinking of a normal tube with a thin layer of metal with lots of holes in it wrapped around it. Something like this:
    nova-lg.jpg

Thoughts? Advice? Warnings?
    Last edited by TheForce; 03-16-2016 at 10:21 AM.

Force Aware
    Blog Entries

You can get the tapped hole for the blade retention screw done by the store. Just look for the services section.
    Kill keys are not strictly necessary as most sound boards have a sort of low-power or sleep mode, but if you don't have a kill key you'll want to make sure your battery is removable for storage. Otherwise it'll still be trickling power and the battery won't last as long. Also, kill keys go hand in hand with the recharge port, generally speaking.
    As for the grip, that's definitely something I've never seen done, but my worry is that you'll either increase the grip diameter or decrease the internal space with a piece like that. On the one hand, it might be uncomfortable to hold. On the other, you have to use all your cram fu.

I'm seeing a little bit of refining possible in your TCSS builder render, probably save you a few dollars, but you'd definitely be better off building from scratch as opposed to going the SF route.

If you're worried about the wiring and soldering and so forth just dowdload the manual for whichever sound card you're going to use, read it over and over until it starts to sink in, which shouldn't take long really. Read as many build threads as you can, they are very informative, and you can learn form other's mistakes lol. Watch Rob's videos on how to build sabers, awesome resource! Get yourself an ESD safe soldering iron and practice soldering and de-soldering. What I did was find an old circuit board to practice on, that way you don't learn your skills on a pricey sound card. If you get stuck, ask questions here, there's always someone willing to help.

Good luck with your build!