Thread: Li Ion Battery Degradation Question

Default Li Ion Battery Degradation Question

Hi there! I have a question in regards to the Li Ion setups which are the preferential option for a LED Lightsaber. Given that most cells have a set number of recharges, and it is very easy to run through a 7.4 V cell with a full day of use, what are people's preferences to mitigate the effects of this? Do people install connectors on the leads from the battery to the recharge port to allow it to be taken out when the cell dies? Or has it just never come up? On the same lines as this, beyond keeping the kill key in when it isn't in use, what is the best practice to make the cells last as long as possible? I am in the process of doing a larger build (CF 7.5, CeX, Recharge Port, etc), and would love to know what sort of redundancy or practice I should look at implementing to reduce the hassle of taking apart the internal chassis later down the line in order to replace the power pack. Thanks!

Li-ion cells last a good long while. The batteries in our cell phones will easily last 2 years or more, and that's with heavy use and daily charge/discharge cycles. The battery in your lightsaber will probably see less use than your cell phone.

If you want to keep the li-ion cell in top condition for as long as possible, drain the cell down to 80% charge if you won't be using the saber for a while.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Blog Entries

I can't remember where, but I've read that Panasonic 18650s are rated at around 300 charge cycles. But there are a lot of variables that can affect that.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

I had a battery pack die on me in less than 6 months, no idea why, just stopped holding a charge. It was probably an anomaly. But I always put a molex connector on my battery packs in case something like that happens, that way I can lift the board out of the way and carefully replace them.

So the general consensus seems to be that it really shouldn't matter for a long time, but put something like a Molex connector on the battery leads so if there is some manufacturing inconsistency in the cell, you can replace it relatively easy. Thanks guys!