Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Tri-lux MHS

Default Focusing

Hi
    There's 3 separate lenses that fit tightly together. The entire unit is 1.25" in diameter, so you can imagine the size of these lenses. They focus the light as well or better than the usual type we use on single LED setups.

Corbin

Ok, you have done and gotten me excited about building sabers again! Very awesome.
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'd love to give just the optics a whirl as Ace showed me a comparison pic with the standard collimnator lens vs. the itsy bitsy ones he found. The difference was a bit shocking. The blades really benefit from having the optics less then the ID of the blade.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Default 3x3w lux

i've seen an improvement from a 10 degree to a 5 degree collaminator, enough to switch to the 5... i would love to see ace's compairisons, have them on file xwing?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If Ace gives me permission or he can post it himself as he knows the shot I'm talking about.

I haven't noticed a 5-10 degree difference, and most haven't but in the pic it was glaringly obvious that the smaller optics helped.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Xwing, if you have the picture go ahead and post it. I am work right now and don't have access to the pictures. Plus, getting ready to head out for a week's vacation this weekend so I doubt I will have time to find it and post it here when I get home.

Default 3x3w lux

granted my eyes are super sensitive, but i set up 2 mr ani rots boards with bin 3 royal blue k2's and new batteries, one 10 degree and one 5 degree lens. shining on the wall my eyes see no corona around a square core of light with the 5 degree lens where there is a corona on the 10 degree. in an mr diffusor type blade both are even but the 10 degree has noticibly more flare at the base of the blade.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yup, I still have the pic from the e-mail.

It's blurry as all heck, but you can see the massive difference the little optics make.

Ace told me it was a retrofitted 3C maglite on the left and a plain old Lux III on the right with the smaller optics. Even with a smaller blade you can see that the smaller optics just blow it away.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Default 3x3w lux

asuming these are running similar led/driver/battery setups, size of the blade not being a factor obviously from the pic... WOW ...

so ace, when you get back home you were planning on sending a few of these too me right? we'll work out all the shipping details after your trip, be safe and have a good time brother!

Default Optics

Hi all
    Yeah, these optics are something else. Small as hell and very little side spill. They have some great potential. I've already got a project or two in mind for them. Be sure that you'll here about it on these forums.
    I plan to be spending much more time in these forums shortly. That's not to say you won't see me other places, but I'll likely be spending the bulk of my forum time here.

Corbin