Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: First Crystal Chamber & Custom Chassis progress pics

Default First Crystal Chamber & Custom Chassis progress pics

Hi everyone!
    I am but a humble Padawan attempting my second build ever. I have chosen to try my hand at the Graflex 2 kit, and wanted to incorporate a Crystal chamber into somehow. Most of the parts were either bought from the CSS or fashioned from various pieces of hardware.

I don't have access to much metal working equipment other than a drill press, so for the chassis I had to use my sculpting and resin casting skill-set. The chassis has three pieces that fit together. The main piece houses the NBv3, recharge port, and latching switch for the 5mm led. The second piece holds an accent led and is fashioned into a sled which is held in place with a pin. The third part is a piece that slides along the spacers and holds the soundboard in place. It's not completely finished yet, but it's close. Obviously, I haven't wired anything yet, but I think I've worked that out, and will post more pics when I do.

I went into this with a vague idea of what I wanted to do, and I am pretty pleased with what I've come up with. It's definitely been a learning experience, and I have gained even more respect for the talented Sabersmiths I have seen here. Thanks for stopping by!

Blog Entries

This is awesome. Very nice work. Is any of that cold casting?

EDIT: Actually, cold cast wouldn't be good for electronics housings I suppose.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 03-12-2016 at 11:18 PM.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Thanks!
    Only the housing is a casting, and it was pure resin. No metal fillers, so I guess in wouldn't be considered a cold-casting.
    I'm curious though. Why would a metal cold cast be ill advised? I'm stumbling my way through all this, and electronics definitely aren't my strong suit!
    The thought of making an aluminum/resin casting hadn't crossed my mind until just now...

Blog Entries

Well, if anything with electricity running through it were to touch the metal in the cold cast you'd get a short. That would be bad. I've never done cold casting but I know it can be polished and have patina applied which means the metal is definitely exposed and could pose a risk. You could possibly coat the surfaces with something non-conductive like a varnish or lacquer I guess.

That makes sense. Cold casts are usually coated to protect the finish, but I would be afraid it would eventually wear off leaving exposed metal. It could probably still be done, but extra care would have to be taken to insulate the parts.
    I don't mean to pepper you with endless questions, but how much breathing room does a board need? On this build, the board is upside down on a tray, and there isn't a ton of space between it and the board components.
    Last edited by Eld; 03-13-2016 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Grammar

Looks awesome great work !

That's sweet! Very impressive!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eld View Post
    but how much breathing room does a board need? On this build, the board is upside down on a tray, and there isn't a ton of space between it and the board components.
    I really don't know to be honest. Never rigged a board upside down.

this turned out great! really nice work.

Very nice work! I really like the orientation of the board, it's cool to see something other than the typical flat designs.