Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First Crystal Chamber & Custom Chassis progress pics

so the radiator rings, were those cast? I assume not since the spacers werent, but curious how you came about those because i am having a hard time coming up with solutions for that short of washers

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
    so the radiator rings, were those cast? I assume not since the spacers werent, but curious how you came about those because i am having a hard time coming up with solutions for that short of washers
    I was having a hard time finding what I wanted as a well. I wanted a brass color for the fins, and couldn't find much at the big hardware stores. I found some copper washers at a local mom and pop store. They are a little thicker than I wanted, but I think they turned out ok. Washers work great with a little dremel work and drilling.

Blog Entries

I just posted this in another thread yesterday. McMaster Carr is a good source for washers and round shim stock in various metals, ODs, IDs and thicknesses.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

This looks absolutely great! I've been working on a crystal chamber chassis as well, and may I ask what sort of accent LED you used for the crystal?

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    I just posted this in another thread yesterday. McMaster Carr is a good source for washers and round shim stock in various metals, ODs, IDs and thicknesses.
    Wow! Thanks for the post! This site looks absolutely amazing. So much stuff I didn't know I needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kreyhn View Post
    This looks absolutely great! I've been working on a crystal chamber chassis as well, and may I ask what sort of accent LED you used for the crystal?
    Thanks man! I'm using a 5mm blue led.

You ever considered magic sculpt?? It's clay that turns to plastic, you have about an hour of work time and it sets over night.It comes in two parts an you just mix together what ever amount you need. It is kind of expensive though I believe around $30.00 usd. I use to use it to create custom action figures, marvel legends style, an slang them on the bay. Maybe look into it. Thanks for the info though I didn't realize you sculpted lol. what is all the metal looking ring disk things is that sculpted an painted metallic?

Thanks! Magic sculpt is actually what I used to sculpt the original! It really is good stuff. I use it in lots of applications.
    The metal rings are all either tcss chassis pieces, washers, or bushings.

how thick are those washers? they look huge

also what are you using to hold your crystal? i typically see people using the knurled nuts, but yours looks a lot different

The fins around the crystal are copper washers. The bronze piece between the silver chassis disk and the electronics housing is a cast washer I ran across at a local shop. I cut it to function as a channel for the wiring to get into the housing.
    The pieces holding the crystal was found in the faucet section of Lowes. The crystal sets in it pretty snug, but I did secure it with magic sculpt.