Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VENERABLE - By FJK

Default VENERABLE - By FJK

VENERABLE

This is a design that I had created back in 2011. I wanted a katana style, crystal chamber saber but I also wanted to utilize the "Bling strips" to spell the words in English (Peace, Justice, and the Jedi symbol) - for friends (or people in general) who don't read Aurebesh.

Originally, this was going to have a "traditional" ito wrapped bottom grip, however, over time, I decided to try an "engraved" grip a la Highlander (and I could always switch them - I have the second extension, and the leather, but I never got around to creating it). The engraving is based on a interesting tsuba design I found online of a swan. So, I laid that out and used Dremel engraving bits to freehand it out, instead of etching.

The (solid brass) tsuba design itself was just me being a bit "different". There were originally 12 slots (numerals of a watch) in the solid brass disk - it morphed into alternating slots and windows, and then I came up with the idea to cut out the out edge of the windows, and the remaining guards would line up to cover the chamber windows. It could almost look a bit like an umbrella or awnings - from a certain point of view.

The crystal chamber itself was designed to integrate the three bling strips and have the fourth ?missing? (so you can see the actual crystal chamber). I have a madcow type switch configuration using domes switches right under the tsuba, lining up over 2 of the windows. Like Warspite, I originally thought this would have a yellow/gold colored blade - even though I can have all the colors of the rainbow with this setup.

If you recognize this hilt, I slipped in an early version of it into the contest we had last year just for kicks.

SPECS
    Tri-Cree RGrB
    CF 6.5 and CEX
    2W Bass speaker
    7.4V (18500 pack)

GLAMS

There is no video for now.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 03-11-2016 at 08:42 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Blog Entries

I really like the brass inserts. Such a nice touch.
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

Interesting brass inlays, I like those.

Is the Jedi symbol the one that appeared on the Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast game box cover (from back in the day - awesome game)? Is that where it originated?

Quote Originally Posted by Ris Liam View Post
    Is the Jedi symbol the one that appeared on the Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast game box cover (from back in the day - awesome game)? Is that where it originated?
    Yes it is. It has the virtue of actually fitting on the strips.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Nice work.

Where is that stand from? It's nice and subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    Nice work.

Where is that stand from? It's nice and subtle.
    The stand is actually the stand from the very first run of Corran Horn sabers, minus the name plate which I took off for this photo shoot.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Blog Entries

How on Earth did you get the brass inserts so crisp? Very impressive!

Forgetful Jedi Knight... could you please PM me... I have a question about another thread that is closed. I tried to PM you but the system will not let me... Just a lowly Nubie.... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by k6gad View Post
    Forgetful Jedi Knight... could you please PM me... I have a question about another thread that is closed. I tried to PM you but the system will not let me... Just a lowly Nubie.... LOL
    You need to have a certain number of posts, and you also need to make sure your PM's are turned on in your profile.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines