Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Double ended "Glow Staffs": Input on design and electronics

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elrond.406
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus Lupus
    If I could be sure of enough sales to justify the cost, then maybe....
    As for an alternative, I'm still looking. I thought metal vacuum cleaner hose tubes might be one answer, I even made a junk (non-functional) saber out of one I had lying around:

But I've not been able to find anything in either 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" OD. It all seems to be smaller.
    Metal vacuum cleaner hoses? I thought they were all made of plastic. Anyway, they luke pretty neat
    most of them here are, the cheap ones anyhow.

BLUE 3- Ready

Well this one was also a carpet shapoo-er.
    Thanks for the compliment, but really that saber is way too light and narrow in real life. Still, seeing as I built it just to see if I could, and long before I discovered here and found out about luxeons and such, I guess it's not too bad.
    I wonder what erv uses for his chromed tubes. I'll most likely be buying from Tim when I eventually build my own saber, so I guess adding a sink tube won't be too much extra. If only he had an outlet in the uk...
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

I thought he said something about vaccum cleaner hose. I'm not sure exactly but I know he mentioned it. I beleive he machines his stuff or has it done.

BLUE 3- Ready

Jedi Knight
    Sith Acolyte
    Jedi Knight
    DDP FETCHER,SIG BNDWGN STARTER,BOT-WTCH LEADER,PROUDFSM member,FORMER Unofficial TCSS postwhore

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus Lupus
    Well this one was also a carpet shapoo-er.
    Thanks for the compliment, but really that saber is way too light and narrow in real life. Still, seeing as I built it just to see if I could, and long before I discovered here and found out about luxeons and such, I guess it's not too bad.
    I wonder what erv uses for his chromed tubes. I'll most likely be buying from Tim when I eventually build my own saber, so I guess adding a sink tube won't be too much extra. If only he had an outlet in the uk...
    For the bolded word(s?) did you mean shampoo-er?

m..my smiley! The TCSS sig Changer! Former official TCSS postwhore! TCSS Bot Watch scout & declarer! =P
    I am a kinda PROUD member of the FSM!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

it shampoos the carpet...duh
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Think he was refering to spelling there, fetcher...
    "vibrations within vibrations, traveling at the speed of color"

"I've got a bad feeling about this..."

Dang, I can't beleive I futzed that one up.
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

Quote Originally Posted by darthdan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bescherman
    My problem with MHS parts and sink tube adaptors is that you simply cannot lay your hands on sink tubes in the UK. It doesn't seem to be a standard part.
    What do you guys have under your sinks then? If you brits have developed black hole technology to get rid of drainage I really think you should share it with the rest of us...
    It's been answed by now. As everyone says: plastic!

I've beenl ooking round for alternatives, but the other thing to consider is that everything is in metric sizes. As I said, I'm looking at extruded aluminium as weight will be a factor for me. I want to keep the centre sections as light as possible so there's proportionately more weight towards the end.

Question: What Thickness (in mm if poss!) are the MHS hilt walls? I'm guessing that 2 mm would be a good thickness but that's based only on me going "ummmmmm...." and staring at the ceiling! I need as thin as possible to be structuarally sound and have enough for the screws to bite into.

I may have to see if I can try a few different thicknesses and test to destruction!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bescherman
    I may have to see if I can try a few different thicknesses and test to destruction!!!!

I like your way of thinking!

Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

As you are going for double ended spinners, i would not be too worried about how much the hilt weighs. Balance would seem to be far more important, from what i can surmise. From the spinning i have done with the single and double sabers that i have made, the single is more cumbersome, but that is due mainly to the balance. The double saber i have the same amount of crud inside both halves of the hilt, and it spins just dandy, i don't get tired out from it like i did with my single saber before i made adjustments with it to achieve better balance.